ktm400exc won't CRANK....HELP PLEASE!!!!!

leeinmemphis

Oct 19, 2000
After a few month layoff sunday we went a rode our dirt bikes. Yesterday I cleaned my bike, changed my oil, cleaned the air filter, adjusted the chain, installed the enduro engineering clutch lever, and felt pretty good about what I had done. I decided to crank the bike to adjust the clutch lever free play. So it fired right up ran for about 3 seconds and died. But the way it sounded didn't sound good at all. It was a real abrupt sound. There was also a little puff of smoke that came from the right side of the bike but couldn't tell where it came from. I couldn't sleep last night thinking that my bike may need a rebuild. I haven't ridden it but maybe 5-6 times! Any advise is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

longtime

Oct 7, 1999
hey, aren't you 1 of the guys who was laughing at me sun when my yz-f wouldn't start? you'll get no sympathy from me, buddy! (still haven't got the daggum thing started, btw--glad i kept my ktm 2-s!). j/k--good luck with it.

TUCKER330

Dec 8, 2000
If you started your bike soon after installing a freshly oiled air filter, your carb could have sucked some oil into an air passage. This has been a common problem on the 520, but not an impossibilty with the 400. Pull the carb off, and check the intake side. Chances are that you will find oil. I have also read in several mags that this happened to them. Good luck!

Shaw520

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 14, 2000
Lee, When you say it "wont crank", do you mean it wont turn over with the kick-starter? If that is the case, your problems are deep. If it does turn-over, then Tucker330 has provided some good advise, heavely oiled filters will reek havoc@!
More info is needed.

jeb

Jul 21, 1999
Did you properly winterize the bike for the several months of storage? You're suppose to put fresh oil and filters in before storage so that the contaminates in the used oil won't attack the motor. You're also suppose to fog or otherwise coat the topend of the motor so that the valves don't rust. The procedure should be spelled out in your manual.

I agree with Shaw that we need more details before we can offer any real advice.

Good luck.

------------------
John Brunsgaard - JEB
01 KTM 400 EXC
99 KTM 250 EXC
99 KTM 200 EXC
98 KTM 125 EXC
98 KTM 380 MXC (gone)
96 KDX 200

leeinmemphis

Oct 19, 2000
To make a long story short...yesterday I drained the carb, put in a new plug, made sure the carb was clean, verified that I didn't make the air filter lubed too much. After all that I put is back together and get it to crank. It's not running well but at least it's running. I busted the radiator in Nov. and had to install a new one. I haven't ridden it but one other time since I installed the radiator. Yesterday while looking the bike over I checked the radiator fluid level and it was a little low. I'm starting to wonder if maybe I may have run it hot and done something internal. Whatta bummer.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom