ktm400sx or 520sx???what to do what to do??

DEA

Jul 11, 2001
I've pretty much narrowed it down to a 02 400sx used in great shape for$4100.00 (no trades) or a new 02 520sx for $3200.00 difference trade on my 99rm250 (a fair deal I think)Considering how the used dirt bike market is. Also found a 02 crf 450 for $3800.00 (the 400 is in better shape). Will the 520 be to much or the 400 to little. I'm 6'2" & 245# Will be mostly trail ridding and some over 40 mxing going slower than the rest of the over 40 riders. Any suggestion's
Happy Thanksgiving
DEA

jho410

~SPONSOR~
Apr 30, 2002
You can't really go wrong with any of these bikes especially considering that you've been riding a RM250 ;-) I've just changed from an 02 CR250 to an 01 400SX and love it so far. Sure, I'm a little slower in the trees right now but I expect to get faster once I get used to it. The power of the 400 is also awesome ... nice and linear. Since you are 245 lbs, the 520 is probably a better solution for you but the 400 has more than your 'zuke. I prefer either of the KTMs for all around riding over the CRF.

Bud-Man

Dec 5, 2000
DEA,
I had an '01 400SX before buying my '01 520 SX so I can give a decent comparison between the two. First off, the 400 is easy to ride with a good spread of power but it isn't like the japanese 400s or 450s. It's much mellower. You will want to gear it down substantially. For tight woods go down from a 14 to a 13 countershaft sprocket and up from a 50 to a 52 rear. This sounds like a lot but it really isn't. It will make 1st a granny gear and 2nd through 6th will be just right. Stock, the gearing is so tall the bike really doesn't have the motor to pull it. With this gear change and some jetting the bike is plenty powerfull and is versatile enough to do anything.
Now for the 520. :)
Man is that motor awesome! It's so powerful but easy to use. One ride on it and I knew that was the bike I wanted. Compared to my 400, it's just a whole lot more everywhere. It even runs smoother and will chug at low rpms better. The only real negative I can think of is the unbelievably tall 1st gear. Remember, this is a moto-x bike not an off-roader. Anyhow, 1st gear is taller than 2nd on my freinds 426!!!! I tried gearing it down but I can't find a combination I like. It's not as big a deal as it sounds because the motor will run at insanely low rpms. With all the flywheel mass, it's not nearly as stall prone as a japanese 4 stroke MX bike. (Unfortunately it's not as snappy either.) The only time the gearing is a problem is in the SUPER technical, trials type stuff.

As for chassy and suspension type stuff, I didn't notice much difference between the two. Some poeple prefer the handling of the 400 over the 520, but I didn't notice any differences. Even in the tight western PA trails we ride. Both bikes weigh the same and have the same components so the big differene is the motor and the price. Usually the 400SX's get overlooked and good deals are everywhere.

If have any specific questions, post back and I'll see if I can help you out.
Good Luck!

woodsy

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 16, 2002
Ansi I am so glad someone else noticed that!!! You are 100% correct - there aint NO WAY that 400 (the 520 wont either!! - read on what one of the other writers said about the 520's) is comparable to a modern Jap 2 stroke 250 MXer!! YOUR "NOPE" WAS WELL TAKEN!
Here is the quote from the pre:

Now for the 520.
Man is that motor awesome! It's so powerful but easy to use. One ride on it and I knew that was the bike I wanted. ****** Compared to my 400, it's just a whole lot more everywhere. ******It even runs smoother and will chug at low rpms better. The only real negative I can think of is the unbelievably tall 1st gear. Remember, this is a moto-x bike not an off-roader. Anyhow, 1st gear is taller than 2nd on my freinds 426!!!! I tried gearing it down but I can't find a combination I like. It's not as big a deal as it sounds because the motor will run at insanely low rpms. With all the flywheel mass, it's not nearly as stall prone as a japanese 4 stroke MX bike. *******(Unfortunately it's not as snappy either.)******** The only time the gearing is a problem is in the SUPER technical, trials type stuff. End quote.

I recently had an opportunity to spend some time on the KTM 520exc and was shocked at how docile it was. I have had LOTS of XR's and I honestly believe it was comparable to the XR400 (definitly less then my old 84 XR500). I also got to ride a 2002 YZ250 back to back with a CRF and they are very close. For those who dont believe this read the recent Dirt Bike mag comparison and you can easily see that the CRF is the ONLY (the YZF was close and it is WAY stronger then the KTM520/525 motors) modern one of the bunch that will give the modern 2 strokers a decent challenge!!

Now I have to mention one more thing. A real close friend of mine has a KTM300exc that we FINALLY got the jetting fiqured out on (for those of you fighting this nightmare the solution he found is in getting the slide needle the correct size!!!) and it FLAT OUT RIPS!!! Believe it or not that sucker is on a scale all of its own (very close in power to my old 93 CR500 and I am not joking!)! But the 400/520 4 strokes - naahhhhhh - I am with Ansi on tihs one!!
Woodsy

MrLuckey

Fire Marshall Ed
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
Originally posted by woodsy
I recently had an opportunity to spend some time on the KTM 520exc and was shocked at how docile it was. I have had LOTS of XR's and I honestly believe it was comparable to the XR400

Uhhh that must have been one heckuva XR400 or a 520 in a really sad shape :)

woodsy

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 16, 2002
I have heard that but have yet to test out the "reality" of the statement. I for one am of the old school - THE PROOF IS IN THE TEST RIDE - PERIOD! By the way, that 520 was 3 months old - bone stock - nice bike but definity NOT a power house!!
There is a West Michigan Trail Riders that has one of the new SX's - maybe I can cop a demo on his this spring (February at the Snowy Chicken). I certainly hope it is different as stated cause it wont be competitive if its not..........
Woodsy

MrLuckey

Fire Marshall Ed
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
I think the EXC is deceptive. It doesn't have a HIT like a 426 but it does have MORE HP. Take one on a nice big hill and you will see what I mean. They dont seem to ever run out of power.

380EXCman

Sponsoring Member
Sep 15, 1999
Woodsy your way off. There is no way a YZ,CR,RM,KX and even maybe the SX 250's make more "power" than the YZ,CR 450's or the KTM 520 SX. They probably dont even stack up to the 520E's or M's in terms of "power". Even on the Dyno's the 2 strokes struggle to have the same peak horsepower as the 4-strokes let alone the wide spread and huge torque #'s. My 550 has more power in any form than my 380 (acceleration-topend-dyno).

I think you are confusing smooth torque filled power with the seat of the pants 2-stroke midrange snap. Almost every guy that has come off a 2-stroke to a 400/520 KTM will say they didnt realize they were going so fast until the had to make a turn or stop. The smooth power is decieving.

And as for the 520 being compared to a XR 400 and a "84 XR500" in the power department? You need to put down the crack pipe and slowly back away. Its clearly begining to cloud your judgement...... ;)

DEA, my vote is the 520. I would wait for a response from strick or mxbundy though. Bundy is about your size and he could move right along on his 400 no problem, he even looks good on a 250F (so its not all about hp). Also I rode Strick's 400sx in Reno and I really liked it. At 280lbs I would consider it for Moto.

MrLuckey

Fire Marshall Ed
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
380.... Bundy is now thinking really hard about a 520. He just rode at Jawbone with a few other expert riders. Monster hills out there. He wants even more power - most of those guys are riding the 520's now.

Bud-Man

Dec 5, 2000
TTRguy.....I'm with you on that!!

woodsy,
If you're using the "bursty" or "snappy" feel of a motor to measure it's power then the 520 defenitly wouldn't be strong. While I've never riden an 520 EXC, I'm surprised it felt that slow. I've had a good bit of time on a freinds '97 XR400 and it wasn't even in the same ballpark as these fourstrokes. Another thing to consider is the jetting. The recent KTM fourstrokes benefit greatly from some jetting changes. A lot of people fail to realize this as the bikes don't run abnormally stock. Yet with some simple changes the bikes run much better. This applies to 400s and 520s of all types. I haven't read the bike comparison you mentioned but I've seen both dyno charts and other tests that put the fourstrokes ahead of any of the modern 2 strokes in terms of peak horsepower. The real difference though is in the spread of power and low rpm torque. In these areas the 450/520s smoke the 2 strokes. I'm not just quoting magazine article either as one of my closest riding freinds has an '02 CRF450 and another buddy has an '01 YZ426 (both stock motors). In terms of shear power output we all agree that my 520SX has the edge but it defenitely isn't the punchy-est power delivery. If you like the feel of a two stoke then the 520 motor is defenitely not a good choice.

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
I rode a 520 sx and decided it was the most snorting, roost chucking thing i have ever encountered.It only wanted to paw the sky when under full throttle-3rd gear was faster than my 125 in top.Ive seen a 520 exc at the mx track and it did go, but didnt look the handful the sx is.

Dont read into my comments too much as i ride 125s and i dont really use the throttle-its either on or off.Not a good way to ride any open bike.Ive rode a Cr450 back to back with a Cr250 and the 450 is more powerfull in every way.

Shaw520

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 14, 2000
I have heard the 520's called alot of different things, but lacking power???? Dude, you better check your medication....I have owned XR4 -XR6, EXC520, SX520, SX400,... and have recently ridden 426and the CRF, the 520 is still the king,...I have yet to ride the YZF450

mxbundy

Sponsoring Member
Feb 16, 2001
Hemet, CA.
Ok,

Here is my 2 cents.
DEA, for the type of riding that you described, the 400 will work just fine.
While definatly not as powerul as a 520 or a 250 mx bike, it has enough to get the job done.
I am 6'4" and 265# and mine works great for me. True TTRGuy, this weekend I was wishing for more power, but we where doing EXTREME hill climbing. When we went on a normal trail ride I could keep up with guy there that has been to the 6 Days who was on a new 525EXC. So the 400 has more than enough power under normal riding conditions.
In fact its easy to ride nature is what drawed me to it in the first place. I am out of shape to say the least and the bike lets me ride harder for a lot longer than a bike with a hard to control hit would.

The biggest thing is that no matter what bike you get, have the suspension set up for your weight. This is critical! There is not a bike made stock that can handle our weight.

bundy

ps. Eddie, cant wait for RENO! Whish you would have been out at Jawbone last weekend, EPIC! :flame: :aj: :yeehaw:

MrLuckey

Fire Marshall Ed
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
I was thinking about you guys at Jawbone the whole weekend, well at least when I wasn't putting the new pumpkin together anyway. So where are the ride reports and pictures? Tony was telling me about some of the hillclimbing going on. I REALLY want to try 'the ditch of doom' and 'the wall' now. Prolly stay away from 'butterball' though :)

Top Bottom