MXTex

~SPONSOR~
Feb 29, 2000
Well, I'm starting to think I've gotten my money's worth out of the ole 98 KX250. To this end, I'm starting to feel the need for a new bike; a four stroke for sure. I'm 6'2" and weight 205 w/o gear. I ride MX only. Don't race but practice ride pretty seriously. I like to jump and just get after it in general. I probably ride at an advanced Novice level. With all this said, if I were to buy based on what I see at the track, it'd be a CRF450 for sure. In terms of 4 strokes, I see more of these than anything else. Then it's the YZF and finally the KTM. I know the CRF's and YZF's are good, but I'd like to be a little different if the KTM's can be good too. I see very few KTM450's and even fewer KTM525's. From reading Jeremy Wilkey's threads, it appears he can get the linkless suspension to work quite well. With ample suspension work, can the 525 be effective in this application? I'd love to give KTM a try but am hesitant due to not seeing many on the track. Is the 525 a handful in MX applications? I hear the motors makes gnarly power but is well metered. I don't ride woods.

Thanks in advance.

Troy Pokoj

Nov 8, 2003
Ive rode all three bikes, I raced a 03 crf all season and I agree with all the magazine articles. The bike is very easy to ride and is very good for all levels. I ride the plus A class , I get holeshots all the time (Even over 525,s)the KTM 525 is a real good bike also but the extra power will tire you out sooner than the crf. The 04 CRF just won the Dirt Rider shoot out. The only major mod That I did to my crf was I got the syspension redone for my weight and skill level, I made a huge difference, I picked up speed at every track, For your weight you will probably have to add stiffer springs on any of the bikes. Ive had a lot of dirtbikes but I have to admit that the CRF 450 is by far the best bike that I,ve ever had Or ridden as far as that goes! The bike has been bullet proof also. I hope this helps Troy

MXTex

~SPONSOR~
Feb 29, 2000
Thanks for the feedback Troy. I'd love to hear some other comments. Worthy of noting; I spoke to Eric regarding this question. Botton line is he's not very keen on the reliability of the KTM 4 strokes; at all. From a reliability and cost of repair standpoint, he unequivically suggested I stay away from the KTM 4 stroke! Currently, I'm leaning towards a clean used 03CRF.

jboomer

~SPONSOR~
Jan 5, 2002
My buddy is getting an '04 YZF450 this weekend. It'll be a good comparison between the CRF450 and his. Although, he'll be adding a couple aftermarket goodies to his right off the bat (excel rims and pro taper bars). Must admit though, I can't imagine ANY bike being better than my CRF! I keep looking in the catalogs for aftermarket goodies, but I can't find any (what's to upgrade?)! It's perfect!

Flying Fig

Nov 20, 2003
I ride a 2003 cr450f and my friend just got the new yzf450 and i smoked him. The crf is the way to go. It is a better bike all around. I ride mostly desert and it blows my old 250 away. so go with the crf.

BEEF706

Sponsoring Member
Jan 24, 2002
My impression if the CRF 450, this thing feels slow, then I notice i just overjumped something I never cleared before! rode and 04 yzf 450, it flet a lot faster, but aI was tired after 2 laps, I didn't have a stopwatch (or a calender ) on me but I bet I was a fair amount faster on the CRF but the YZF felt like a rocket, (mis pack vet novice rider) I really ought to be getting a CRF450, but I 'm now thinking about a CRF250 :p

MXTex

~SPONSOR~
Feb 29, 2000
Wow; very consistent feedback. Everything points to the CRF. I'd love to hear something positive about the 525SX. Anybody out there have good things to say about the 525SX in comparison to the CRF450?

truespode

Moderator / Wheelie King
Jun 30, 1999
I feel that the 525 turns better. However, I think the CRF450 is easier to ride.

If I was doing a lot of open riding in the desert or long straights I'd go with a 525 but if I'm doing mostly MX than the CRF450 is my choice (I'm probably biased b/c I own a CRF450).

Ivan

Top Bottom