jski

Sponsoring Member
Apr 5, 2001
I am looking at getting a KX-110 for my almost 7 year old son. Now this would be his first bike but he does have an ATC-70 that he has learned how to shift and control so after reading the reviews I thought the KX would be the way to go because size wise it fits him better then the xr-50 or pw-50 but I don't want to spoil this experience for him by getting too much bike. Any suggestions?

jsmith811

Jun 21, 2000

CAn't go wrong here, we have had ours since it hit the show room last year, zero problems, my son is only 7 and has no trouble with it, his friend is 10 and rides a pw80 and loves the 110 when he gets a chance to ride it. It does have a lot of power, one of the magazines rated it as the fastest of the ttr 90 , xr70 and some other bike, but its very controllable. Hoepfully they will make an even better mini thumper soon.

BunduBasher

Boodoo-Bash-eRRR
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
I just read somewhere that there is a 4th gear hiding in there somewhere and that by removing a restrictor plate, you can really open this little bike up !

jsmith811

Jun 21, 2000

I heard you had to split the cases to get the 4th gear to work, as for the restrictor plate ? never heard that ? Is there one in the muffler ? I don't think the owners manual mentions one ? Let me know if you find out.

Feb 25, 2001
just bought mine today..neet bike put about 1.5 hours on it. im really gonna like this for a pit bike. Styling is GREAT ! looks just like the bigger brothers being the kx 80,125

jsmith811

Jun 21, 2000
Exhaust

I have talked to BBR & Powroll, You never know for sure, but Powroll seems to be closer to production with an exhaust than BBR. Although I have not checked with FMF or Pro Circuit or any of the Bigger Manufactuers. Maybe Big Gun will have something ?

jsmith811

Jun 21, 2000
KLX110

We finally got to ride the KLX110 for over 35 miles at the Hatfield Mcoy Trail System, Had one Major problem, Whenever we crossed water 3-6 Inches deep the bike would die out for about 20 seconds & then come back alive fine. ?? Doesn't make sense that it would get something wet that would kill the engine, but then it would fire back up almost as quickly as it died, very frustrating when the 7 year old, can't kick start it well. Its a 2002 model, I didn't expect it to die out in mud puddles like that, it was not submerged or anything, just up to the bottom of the motor for maybe a few seconds, as we crossed some big mud holes ?? Any ideas of what it could be ??

Feb 25, 2001
There is a small vent tube that comes through the skid plate...could it be sucking in water ? or when you submerge the bike that hose cant breathe and cuts off the motor...could be one of those ?

jsmith811

Jun 21, 2000
NOPE

Today, I let the bike idle and sprayed water on the front area of the motor, I have narrowed to a few areas, one is a small cylinder shaped object mounted under the gas tank that the spark plug wires run to, the other is just a set of wires with a connection under the gas tank. It acts just as if the bike is flooded when you spray water on the front of the bike ?? Could water be entering the carb somehow ? and causing the VERY temporarily sputter & dieing ? It goes away as quickly as it comes, but it is enough to kill the bike if you blast through a mud hole in 2nd. NOT GOOD. I'm sure its simple fix though. Finding and maybe spraying with silicone ??

jsmith811

Jun 21, 2000
Big Gun

A represenative from Big Gun emailed me and said they DO have a pipe available Now for the KLX-110. I am calling them Tuesday to verify the info.

agitt73

~SPONSOR~
May 11, 2000
seal all the wire conections with silicone caulking
and the were the spark plug cap go's on the plug wire

jsmith811

Jun 21, 2000
Water Trouble

I sealed off everything with Silicone spray & wrapped a few connections with plastic. I'm going to let the silicone dry overnight and test it out tommorow with the good old water hose. I'll be emailing Kawasaki as well, the New bike shouldn't die after traveling through a mud hole. These were not knee deep either, just average water crossings. We love the bike otherwise though.

jsmith811

Jun 21, 2000
Honda Pilot

Honda Pilot why don't you test your bike by spraying water on the front part of the motor and see how it reacts. I'm sure mine is not the only one, that's afraid of water.

jsmith811

Jun 21, 2000
Update

A mechanic at a nearby Kaw shop told me it almost had to be water getting to the plug somehow, otherwise it would not start back so quick ? The plug wire is snapped on Tight, I don't see how water could get up under it ? I suppose I will try to seal around the outside of it better with silicone and see what happens.

jsmith811

Jun 21, 2000
Any others ?

Honda Pilot, Have you tried your 110 with the water test ? I'm wondering if mine just has a poor seal at the sparkplug cover or if they all do ? If that's the problem.

Feb 25, 2001
Ok I put it through some extensive testing. I had submerged the bike halfway up to the seat in mud/water....no problems, after that I washed the bike really well and didnt have any problems with it running while washing it. This thing has to put up with alot of my abuse. The other day I was railing a berm on my mini bike track I was in 2nd wide open and caught a root on the shifter....bent the shifter really bad and threw me into the bars then over. Hurt like crazy but I got up and took the bike over to the garage and bent the shifter back and kept riding. Several times last week I bailed in mid air off of the bike letting it crash to the ground. Nothing has broken yet that I know of. I cant wait to find a less restrictive exhaust for this bike. I took out the core in the muffler and ran it pretty much straight piped and this thing has better snappier throttle response.

Vic

***** freak.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 5, 2000
Originally posted by The Honda Pilot
Several times last week I bailed in mid air off of the bike letting it crash to the ground.

:scream: :silly:

Top Bottom