demon999

Nov 13, 2005
hey there...
i just wnated to know where i fill in the engine oil on my kx 125 96
i can see there is only one hole to fill in oil
is it the engine oil or the gear oil?
or them both? i need help here please if someone can explain it to me
another thing
is it good to put an auto gear oil for cars? the red one as my gear oil on the kx???

QKENUF4U

Nov 13, 2005
your riding a 2-stroke which means you have to MIX PRE-MIX OIL WITH YOUR GAS for the piston etc. to survive.
the opeing your seeing is for your TRANSMISSION OIL. use a motorcycle specific oil (gear saver etc.) if you mean automatic transmission oil (red one) i would say not to (but i know its been done and worked fine) go get a REAL trans oil like gearsaver and save yourself the headaches of having to replace a clutch because of the wrong oil being used.
good luck

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
Transmission fluids are red in color, but they can be different fluids.
Type F ATF is a "real" transmission fluid that is specifically designed for hydrostatic type transmissions and is suitible for use in a 2 stroke wet clutch type transmission.
It is fine for use and, at less than $1 USD per quart, is very economical.

Dexron and Mercon are slightly different fluids than that of Type F, and they should probably be avoided.
Any motor oil of 40wt should also be fine to use.
Change it out after every other ride or so and it will keep your system free of contaminants, which is the biggest concern here.

Keep it changed out often, no matter what you chose to use. I have not seen very many clutches that can actually point to the wrong oil being used as the culprit for it's demise. More often it is due to clutch plates already being glazed from hard use and springs being sacked out.
Many will swear it was due to the wrong oil, but I tend to think otherwise in just about every situation I've ever witnessed first hand.

Top Bottom