KDX200Kev

Sep 22, 2003
arjay said:
Hey Rog, could you email me. I'd like to get some advice from you on the down tube set-up.

Thanks

- Nice job Kev. What forks are those?

The forks on the bike are the conventional RMX 250 forks. The suspension has been revalved and shorten a couple of inches. This bike was purchased from Placelast, but needed some TLC and this is the end product. My friend is very happy with the bike.

mark_england

Mar 6, 2002
GS said:
What year(s) of KX chassis would be prefered for the conversion??
Have a 03 KX125...love the handling and a '99 KDX220 of which I love the power delivery. Won't use these two, but what generation of KX makes sense?? I can "ebubbl bait an engine :coocoo: , me-guesses :ride:
Greg

i used a 99 kx125 frame and a 1990 kdx200sr motor.

so had to
-machine the rear engine stay braket off the cylinder head
-make a new head stay bracket and bolt it to the head
-also you have to "dent the bottom of the tank" to clear the taller engine

Copyofmarmadukeandbuffy227.jpg

if you use the current kx125 i dont think these are an issue.

then you either have to get an exhaust made to fit the frame/engine
i used a gasgas200 pipe and dented the back with a lump hammer to clear the plastic kips cover which sticks out a lot.
kawasaki dented the back of there standard pipe for the same reason.

Copyofmarmadukeandbuffy229.jpg

i built this bike for a friend, a girl of about 5' 4"
we've just recently shaved the seat foam down cus she found it a little tall.

if i was to build another one for her,,, or someone of the same height id put the kdx200 engine in a big wheel kx85

809235457-0.jpg

if i was to make one for myself,, id use a current kx125 frame and a post 95 kdx200 engine which i'd bore to 225cc

m0rie

Nov 18, 2002
Bringing this back to the top. Mark when you used the GasGas200 pipe did you have to do any modifications to the head of the pipe where it meets the cylinder? If so do you have any pictures of it and any pictures of the head stay that you made?

mark_england

Mar 6, 2002
m0rie said:
Bringing this back to the top. Mark when you used the GasGas200 pipe did you have to do any modifications to the head of the pipe where it meets the cylinder? If so do you have any pictures of it and any pictures of the head stay that you made?

sorry,, just seen this.
no mods to the front of the pipe.
you just have to make a carb manifold that matches up the front of the pipe to the cylinder

however you have to whack a fair size dent in the back of the pipe to clear the kips arm.
the yz125/wr200 built turned out ok,, sadly i only rode it a couple of times before some local scum bags stole it. :(

yz200done2.jpg

yz200done1.jpg

yz200done5.jpg

MINE.jpg

kmccune

2-Strokes forever
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 3, 1999
Sorry to hear about the theft, that was one sweet bike :nod:

art5

Sep 25, 2007
I have a 03kx/125/05kdx 220, using showa twinchamber kxf suspension, 20 in front wheel with an 18 inch outback, pro taper bars, boysen flex grip and pivot pegs, pro circuit 2 nickle pipe and kx 250 shorty silencer, sidewinder sprockets rk chain, with full nsytle monster off road graphics kit, works performance frame guards and a custom built 6061 aluminum skid plate, will try to put a picture up when I figure out how.

mookee

Feb 28, 2007
kdx/kx hybrid

im on the home straight of finishing a kdx 250 modded motor into a 2002 kx 125 rolling frame inspired by that black and silver hybrid in this thread .(great job ..stunning ) gona go with the black and silver but with black and gold talon/excel wheels .higher compression,altered ignition,tuned motor carb divider (v important ) GNARLY EXAUST WITH NO TAIL PIPE VISIBLE . took a while to get spot on but but now truley is like a 4stroke 2stroke (THE GOOD WAY !!) finished 30hrs of testing so gona tear it down and start the finishing touches now i now shes sorted .any Q&A will be happy to help .all the best guys.will be in touch and thanks for the insperation !!!

Nov 7, 2008
I just picked up a 1993 KDX200 today. Our plans are to find a newer KX125 to put the 200 engine in. I currently ride/race a 2000 CR250 but it has way too much power for what I need as a 30+ Vet beginner gal. This week my husband decided to switch me to the KDX. I was reluctant at first until I started reading the posts on this site about the KDX...especially the hybrids. I'm now pretty excited about this project especially after seeing some of the awesome pictures. We took the bike out to the desert today and was very impressed in the bike as it is now (had a hard time getting hubby off the bike so I can ride). We will eventually be getting a KX125 frame but until then I will ride/race the KDX as is and will sell the CR250. I originally wanted a CRF250 but my husband told me that I will like this better.

This is a great site!!!!!

andy johnson

Nov 24, 2008
kx kdx pipe ?

eh up folks , im just finishing off a kx/kdx conversion , just a question on pipes, has anyone used a kx 125 pipe on this conversion.
i built two of these back in 95 and cant remember what pipe i used , i think i used a 125 , but cant remember what the performance was like .i have a chioce to modify an fmf kdx pipe or a std kx. any ideas ? :)

cheers
andy

kdx/yz

Jan 12, 2009
kx125 pipe

Yes there is a pipe you can use on a kdx/kx convirsion it is the pro circuit pipe i forget which one but it has more clearance from the engine. oh yeah do y0ou have to weld in any engine mounts? Do they sell a light weight flywheel for kdx200?

M. Gibson

Apr 11, 2009
Kx 125 frame KDX 200 motor

Great Forum...just signed up!

Does anybody know if any of the KDX 200 motors will fit in a 89' KX 125 frame. I've almost completely restored it, but the thought of the 200 motor in that frame sounds awesome.

Top Bottom