djr

Apr 22, 2002
Keith,

Could you please compare your 2000 to 2003 KX 250? I am interested in how they compare for tight woods riding. Your opinion on motors, suspension, and frames for the woods. I ride a 2000 set up for woods and wondering if there is enough difference to buy a left over just for trail riding. Motor wise I like smooth torque with added flywheel weight. I always enjoy your information and suggest you give Golden Spectro concentrate a try in your oil comparison. Thanks in advance. Anyone else with a direct comparison of the 03-04 to the 00 for woods jump in. Thanks

bigred455

"LET'S JUST RIDE"
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 12, 2000
Originally posted by djr
Keith,

Could you please compare your 2000 to 2003 KX 250? I am interested in how they compare for tight woods riding. Your opinion on motors, suspension, and frames for the woods. I ride a 2000 set up for woods and wondering if there is enough difference to buy a left over just for trail riding. Motor wise I like smooth torque with added flywheel weight. I always enjoy your information and suggest you give Golden Spectro concentrate a try in your oil comparison. Thanks in advance. Anyone else with a direct comparison of the 03-04 to the 00 for woods jump in. Thanks

djr, the 03 kx 250 is the best bike I have ever owned.

The motor: The 03 motor is just a little softer on the bottom than the 00 they did change the internal gearing for 03 and the exhaust duration was advanced so they both play a roll. It could not pull 3rd gear through a medium size corner that I use to pull on my 00,but I did fix that. ;) The 03 motor has a thicker spread than the 00 ,mostly in the middle. The 00 revved through the rpms quick and it was done the 03 does revs good,but it is spread out more.The mid is great,once it gets to the top , how can I say this it kind of just hangs their instead of pulling through. Kinda of soft up top but does not flatten out like the 00.I also fixed that. The brakes are excellent and the rims (DID SHOULDERLESS) are very strong!!!!!!!!!! I love these rims. I like a motor with good bottom not great ,but good,then come on strong in the mid and pull hard all the way to the top and able to hold it their. THICK. The 03 is thicker than the 00,but instead of flatten out on top it just pulls soft, kawa almost had a motor i like.. For the woods, motor wise you could use the 03 with a tooth or 2 more on the rear and you would have no problem but to purchase a 03 soley on the motor instead of the 00 for the woods NO. I like the 03 motor better than the 00 it doesn't flatten out and scream through revs like the 00,but that is just my style.. Now for the frame and suspension plus the turning ability of the 03 it is no doubt in a different class than the 00. Kawa has pretty much had already a excellent frame and suspension,now it just jUmped up another level,plus their is a bonus it turns and turns well,you must believe. I ride mx only,put atf front and rear rebound out a few more clicks than stock, set my sag,different bars I am good to go. So motor wise for the woods it will work and work well,but I do not think it is better enough TO BUY than the 00 for the woods stock. Everything else YEP!!!!!!

Last edited:

NEMX305

~SPONSOR~
Mar 25, 2001
I have raced a 2000, and  2001 KX250 in the woods, and picked up a 2004 last week that I am setting up for the woods now.

The 2000 had the worst motor of the three, for tight woods work. That motor was an animal compared to my 2001.  The 2000 was to expolsive, the 2001 was smoooth and tractable, and my 2004 has alot of low end power compared to my 2001. It is kind of punchy down low, as soon as you crack the throttle, it goes. Its pretty smooth going into the mid, and flattens out. Its not a screamer. Should probably mention, if I was an mx guy, I would want the 2000 motor back.

At this point, I think the 99-02 chassis fit me better. With my 00 and 01, I just ran a tall seat, highbars, and flipped the bar clamps around. With my 04, I HAVE TO MAKE MORE ROOM! It feels alot smaller than my 01. They say the seat on the 04 is higher than the 03, I don't understand how. It is way to close to the pegs for me. I just lowered the pegs, ordered a high factory effex foam, my tall bars will be here tomorrow, so the fit has to improve ( I'm 6'1). The 04 does turn better, but I'm still making alot of changes, so I need more time on it.  The front brakes on my 2000, were the worst of the three. The 2001 front were always good with fresh fluid. The 04 is the first KX, that I had to adjust the lever closer into the bar. Usually I just run the lever all the way out, and the point at which it grabs, is about right. There is no mush to the 04 front brake, it was grabbing to far out from the bar for me.  My 04 susp was set up for the woods before I got it, so I don't know what stock was like. Shifting seems the same as my 01, but both the 01 and 04 shift better than the 2000. My 2000 was the only bike I hit neutral, while down shifting.

As far as working on the new style KX compared to the 99-02's. Its different, but the same. The shock bearings are now, the style that come in the yz's, with that plastic stuff packed in the bearings. They have to hold up better than before. The electronic box, that was in the airbox is now mounted on the steering stem, behind the number plate, where the clutch cable catches on it when you turn the bars. One bolt on the susp linkage, has to have a wrench used on it, it is inaccessable to a rachet or torque wrench. You don't have to pull the clutch cover now to remove the right foot peg, you just scratch the cover up alittle bit.

I like my 04, when I get the ergonomics sorted out, it will be a better racebike than my 01. Although that has alot to do with me trying to tune my own susp the past year, and now I'm letting the pro's do it again. For tight woods, I wouldln't hesitate to buy a 03 or 04. It will be easier to ride fast , than your 2000. If you were a moto only guy, and had a 2000 with very low time, I would say just buy a new front brake mastercylinder. 

Tim  

AARONA

Apr 11, 2003
I have had both 00 and 03 KX 250, and would agree with the comments above. The 03-04 chassis is a little cramped for the guys over 6'. THe new chassis does handle better, from turning to stability, my 03 was awesome once set up. I had the best luck with the 03 motor with stock pipe and silencer and a set of vforce reeds. That was the widest power. I did run the stock seat all season, and I'm 6-1 and 190. Its a little tight, but it works. If you are just talking about trail riding, your 00 will do fine and you'll have a blast. If you want to compete, you will eventually get on a newer rig anyway. I'd say if you are a novice to intermediate though, either bike would be fine. Its the rider that makes the difference.

WaltCMoto

Sponsoring Member
Jan 1, 2001
Originally posted by AARONA
If you want to compete, you will eventually get on a newer rig anyway. I'd say if you are a novice to intermediate though, either bike would be fine. Its the rider that makes the difference.
Darn, I thought a different bike would make me better. Maybe it will make me feel better though ;)

djr

Apr 22, 2002
Thanks

Thanks for your replies. My 2000 KX was a national GNCC used bike with 3 races on it when I bought it. The motor is smooth and extremely fast. I geared it 13/50 for tight woods trail riding, never see 4th except for open fields and roads. It is very tractable. Pro-Curcuit woods porting is exceptional. The 2000 KX goes through the gears alittle too quickly and the 2003 frame would suit my short height better. I will probably keep it until I find something I like better. Right now a 03 or 04 KX or a KTM 250-300 EXC is all I am considering.

Dale

fatherturtle

Jan 17, 2004
bigred455 what did you do to get your 2003 kx better? Did you just change the rear sprocket? Have you ever messed with your powervalve timing on your bike?

Lissa

"Am I lost again?"
Apr 28, 2002
I've used my '03 KX250 for the past two seasons and think it was by far the easiest MXer-to-Enduro conversion I've ever done! All the bike needed to feel comfortable was to have the suspension revalved, a FMF Q-silencer and a 51rear tooth sprocket. The lighting coil (flywheel weight effect), 18in rear rim conversion, assorted guards, and a V-Force I added as 'extras'. The bike is easily adapted off-road and is by far the best combo of handling and straight line stabilty. The controlable power delivery makes it ideal off-road as well. The '04s are more of the samething, good handling, easy to use power.

Top Bottom