PE175

~SPONSOR~
Jan 18, 2003
I cannot get the clutch to grab, it has brand new plates and springs. I tighten the springs up pretty tight, but still... put it in gear and it just slips... anyone have any suggestions? Thanks.

Coolector

Nov 25, 2003
When the clutch cover wasa of did you check and set the adjustment nut. It should be turned in until it feels tight the back off a half turn and then locked with the lock nut.

PE175

~SPONSOR~
Jan 18, 2003
Coolector said:
When the clutch cover wasa of did you check and set the adjustment nut. It should be turned in until it feels tight the back off a half turn and then locked with the lock nut.

I did not know there was an adjustment nut... Can you show or tell me where it is?

Anyways...
Ok I bought the bike for $300 as is, clutch not working. The guy went to put brand new plates and springs in it, and after doing so the clutch wouldn't grab... It worked before he messed with it.

Coolector

Nov 25, 2003
hey there goto www.worldofpowersports.com look for your bike under parts and pull up clutch. I looked at it tonight and its a little different than my KDX Make sure all the parts are there especially the push rod and maybe a ballbearing, thats what makes the clutch move when you pull the lever. With the clutch installed you should be able to loosen the center nut so when the clutch lever is released the springs are allowed to compress the clutch discs in turn GRABBING. I make sure the bike is off the ground so I can try to spin the back tire in gear to tell if the clutch grabs. If you don't feel comfortable doing this ask a mechanic friend to help he'll know how it all works by lookin. Cheers
Andy

plysWfire

Mar 1, 2001
PE175 said:
The guy went to put brand new plates and springs in it, and after doing so the clutch wouldn't grab... It worked before he messed with it.

I would first check to make sure that the guy put the correct clutch set in it. If he got a set with one less plate, the clutch set would not engage. You should be able to look up the clutch for that bike on one of the manufacture's websites, and see how many plates it should have. Also make sure that it is installed correctly, fiber plate, metal plate, fiber plate, etc...

This is a shot in the dark that maybe someone else here can answer better, but I've always soaked my clutch plates in oil prior to installation. Could this problem arrise from them not being soaked prior to installation?

Hope this helps a little.

deano...

Coolector

Nov 25, 2003
I have had my and my 2 friends clutches apart in the last couple of months and installed them without submerging them in oil and they seem to grab reel gooood. I don't think its a bad idea though as the system is wet style.

PE175

~SPONSOR~
Jan 18, 2003
I have the original packaging for the plates be bought, they are for the right bike.. I cannot find any where to check the number of plates.. They were also soaked in oil... Any other ideas?

Thanks guys.

overbore

Dec 24, 2001
I am by no means a clutch expert,but would also check that the
plates and frictions are sliding correctly while the cover is off so
you know they are not getting cocked or crocked when trying to
released.clutch baskets get grooved or notched real bad and hang
sometimes.Also weak springs would do the same thing so check tension
and free length to make sure there not the wrong springs .Also the
cable should have free play when set right to verify full engagement.
hope this helps.let us know.

Top Bottom