mavrck

Jun 2, 2008
best gearing for 2000 kx 250 in the woods i ride alot of hills ,and some don't have alot of take off room and some a very curve and i find my self bogging out alot plus i'm new to 2 wheels.

DWreck

~SPONSOR~
Apr 14, 2002
stock front (13) and a (50) tooth rear works well in the woods on a KX.

rmc_olderthandirt

~SPONSOR~
Apr 18, 2006
The grammar and sentence structure is so bad that I am not sure what the question is (or if it was a question).

There is no single "best" gearing. There can be a "best" for a specific rider on a specific bike on a specific trail/track/hill/whatever. Change any of those three and the best gearing may also change.

If you are bogging down in first gear climbing hills or over obstacles then you might want to consider going down a tooth on the front sprocket or up a tooth (or 2) on the rear sprocket. This will certainly help you "stay on the pipe" for the speed you are attempting to ride at.

I suspect, however, that you may find that the extra torque will cause you to loop the bike when you climb the hills. I would expect a 250 to have sufficient torque to climb a hill a beginner would consider attempting. The problem may be that you are attempting to ride too slow. Momentum is a wonderful thing when you climb a hill and getting the RPMs up so the bike produces full power will improve things a lot.

Rod

FNG

May 2, 2008
I suspect, however, that you may find that the extra torque will cause you to loop the bike when you climb the hills. I would expect a 250 to have sufficient torque to climb a hill a beginner would consider attempting. The problem may be that you are attempting to ride too slow. Momentum is a wonderful thing when you climb a hill and getting the RPMs up so the bike produces full power will improve things a lot.

What he said.

mavrck

Jun 2, 2008
i know that i need momentum but like i said i'am knew to 2 wheels and these aren't bunny slopes i normally ride my yfz450 4-wheeler up them but i want to learn how to ride a bike better the main problem is probally just the rider i'm just looking for a little more bottom end to help me lug the hills more till i can control the bike better

FNG

May 2, 2008
If I was in the same situation I would drop 1th on the front sprocket as this is the cheapest way to get the most gain for what you are looking for. If you don't like it, you are only out 15$ for the gear and the time to put it on and adjust your chain.

Give it a shot and let us know.

I will say that after many years of 3 and 4 wheeled fun, riding a 2 wheeler is a very different animal. I have always loved going up and down big hills on my trikes, quads and snowmobiles so it is only fitting I like them as well on a dirtbike. You will get used to the extra speed needed, or you will buy a 4 stroke 2 wheeler that has all the thump you need on the bottom:)

Top Bottom