teamgreendad

Oct 29, 2007
There is a 91 kx 250 for sale very cheap and the bike looks like it is in pretty nice shape. The bike is about 200 miles away. Here is the thing, the guy says that it has no spark. He said it kicks over easy and has good compression. So lets say I buy it and put a new plug in it and it fires up, best case. Now for the real world, do you think coil, ignition box, flywheel. Are these bikes/years prone to any proiblems in these catagories? Where is the first area I should look? Anybody know any tricks to find where the problem is? I need a bike so this could be a dream bike if it is not an ignition nightmare. Looks that good! Thanks Guys

teamgreendad

Oct 29, 2007
I know that a new plug will not be the solution. Hard to believe that would not be the first thing anybody would try. Still a good buy if it only needs some juice pumpin thru her.

oldguy

Always Broken
Dec 26, 1999
Wouldn't it be great if it was only a plug?? I suspect a deeper problem or why wouldn't the seller already have tried it and raised the price.
Unless it is less then a couple hundred and you look at it as a project bike I wouldn't consider it. A 17 year old bike could have many major problems in addition to hard to find parts. You more then likely would put more money into it chasing problems then you would pay looking a bit more for a local bike. I would shop a bit more closer to home and look for something 10 years old or newer unless it is close enough you can drive over look at and not feel pressured to buy it because you invested $30 in gas to just see it.

teamgreendad

Oct 29, 2007
He never said it needed a plug? Just saying what if. 500 bucks looks nice for a bike of its vintage. Any guess on the price of an ignition and coil?

Redrodent

Jul 31, 2002
91 has a hardy motor. CDIs and other parts are cheap ($20?) and available. Bring a gauge and do a compression test. Take the rear wheel and lift it to check for linkage slop. These bikes a hard on the lower shock bearing. The kick start spring, gears are known to act up. Worn tires, chain, fork seals are a given. Stock jetting sucks, you will need a hand full of brass. You may also want to raise the forks way up in the clamps, it steers like a truck (corrected in 92). No radiator shrouds in production either.

Had my 91 for 3 years now. I would sell it it's so ugly, but it's rock solid! And east Tennessee mountains aren't forgiving.

Mine wouldn't fire because the coil wire - coil cap connection was green with corrosion. Could be that simple. Highly likely the plastic ignition cover let water in, corroding the ignition.

Get it cheap enough and it won't matter what's wrong with it :cool:

Last edited:

Redrodent

Jul 31, 2002
Check Fleabay. Coils are fairly universal. Lots of kdx parts fit. Cross check on Kawasakis site. 88-91 possibly to 95 CDIs will work. The source coil and kill switch you can check with an ohm meter. If the correctors and colors match your good. Keep us updated.

Moparman1539

Sep 9, 2006
kicks over easy, but has great compression.

i don't know.....

If you do buy it start with a plug. Then start with the source of the power (flywheel) then work your way up.

Top Bottom