cjreeder

Dec 23, 2002
Well, suspecting that the idle mixture was WAY off, due to who knows what, shoved a wire through it that blocked off about 2/3 of the flow. It's still really rich on the bottom end, but it was better. It didn't need so much throttle to idle now. I adjusted the throttle cable up 1/8" or 3/16" I was able to obtain a halfway decent sounding idle. It's still too rich, though, because turning the choke on makes almost no difference, and I know the choke curcuit really does shut off when I push the knob down.

As for the top end, I soldered up a main jet and drilled it out to 1/16". I even flow tested it against the 145 main jet that was too lean by installing each in the bottom of its own paper cup, filling them both, and seeing which one ran out faster. Not that I even believe that identical results in such a test would prove to be equal on the bike, but the 1/16" jet had a slightly higher flow rate than the 145 unmodified main jet, so it was close enough to go out and try. It ran pretty well this time. At WOT it still sounds flat below the powerband, but sounds pretty normal once inside the powerband. Can somebody tell me if this is normal?

So now it idles, has good transition most of the time, and performs fairly well on top. The biggest problem is probably that after descending a hill, throttle closed, it gurgles when you blip the throttle to clear a bump. This sounds like a rich pilot mixture to me. Perhaps the air jet passage or the airscrew passage still have a little junk in them. Or maybe the needle and needle jet are a bit worn. Something's causing a lot of fuel to flow at idle! Anyway, happily I have now burned about five gallons on a single spark plug:)

jason33

Oct 21, 2006
did you get this figured out?
- 1st - try klotz oil- 32-40:1
now - for the motor- you probably have a oil seal leak- the right side crank oil seal is letting oil in the crank case ,and its burning with the premix in the cylinder- this will foul plugs like crazy!!! :yikes:
yes mine drove me crazy-lol
bad news- the cases need split(separated) to put in a new one- :bang: (they are assembled from the inside of the case)
- also- the center cases can allow crank oil in from there as well! :yikes: :bang: - YES MINE WAS LEAKING THERE AS WELL
(the liquid gasket sealer ) was gone ,and didnt seal anymore-
i made one from thin gasket material,and sealed it when i re assembled mine
also the chrome/ nickel coating might need re coated,or your cylinder might need sleeved- check the piston-to - cylinder clearance-- it might be past the ware limit

fix these then try stock jetting!!!!- and go from there

i didnt think there was anyone riding this model any more but me
:cool:

Top Bottom