ttoks

May 1, 2008
last month i bought a very well looked after 1999 KX 500, i know the history of the bike (good friend of mine owned it from new, took care of it, kept it clean, well maintained, had the ports cleaned up, nothing major, sold it ten months before i bought it, new owner crashed and broke his wrist on it and was scarred of crashing again because of having a young family to support so didn't ride it)

but being that it is a 99's model, and it's only had one top end, i would like to freshen it up, i'm thinking piston, rings and reed's, when i bought it the exhaust was cracked due to the top pipe support being broken, now welded.

what else would be suggested while i'm in there, i was thinking about new bearings, but if the ones in there are fine i'm just going to leave them, money is a factor so i don't want to go spending big money on new exhausts and such.

ttoks

May 1, 2008
no the welds are beautiful, i'm a welder by trade.

oh and yes, it does vibrate like a beach lol.

Last edited:

dales298

Mostly Useless
~SPONSOR~
Nov 25, 2003
Rebuilding isn't as much an "age" problem as it would be an "hour" problem. Freshing up an engine with unknown hours would not be a bad thing though. Unless your friend rode an awful lot, rings and a piston should do it. Large bore bikes tend to be easier on the engine because they operate at lower rpm than small bore engines.

The top hanger for the chamber is a weak spot for the K5. Enlarging the bracket works well though.

Plenty of answers are available here http://www.kxriders.com

Dale

ttoks

May 1, 2008
last rebuild was in 2002, and the friend rode it regularly, me and him rode at least once a fortnight, normally went for the weekend, so a good 4 or 5 hours a week was put on it, thanks for the link

Top Bottom