psd

Aug 4, 2006
I have a street legal KX 500 that I need to get the lights set up on. Somebody gave me a baja kit off of an 88 XR 600, and finding a place to mount the battery, rectifier, etc. is hard to do. What I am wondering is will it hurt anything to run the headlight and tail light straight off of the stator just so everything looks legit?

dezryder

Feb 23, 2006
If my memory serves me right, I think Cal law requires that a street legal bike be able to run the lights for so many minutes without the motor running. ( referencing from when Harleys had to quit running off just the mag back in the sixties.) Not an expert, and not totally sure either! Good luck!

A street legal KX 500 would be a trip for sure! I think at 57, I would still get in trouble with it! :)

psd

Aug 4, 2006
It is a trip. I just bought it this weekend actually, just because of the novelty factor. I've personally never seen a street legal mx bike and I had to have it when I saw it. I just want the lights to make it seem legit, I don't really want the extra weight of the battery etc. because I plan to switch the plastics around and take her to the track still.

gwcrim

~SPONSOR~
Oct 3, 2002
Try kxriders.com. It's basically a forum full of KX500 riders. Several of them have streeted their bikes and they have a wealth of info regarding such.

BDN CR500

Dec 13, 2005
I got my 95 CR500 CA Plated. It was a lot of work and money.

I started off with an E-Line External Stator (200w) Call Baja Designs, they were making a copy that was as nice if not nicer, and it allows you to actually run lights. Stay away from the 35w add on stator. Thats only 35w at MAX RPM. . . on a 500? - otherwise it wont light up your front fender. . . even with the proper bulb.
I then bought their XR400 D/S kit with their LED Tail light. It has a battery in it. (they have a new kit that is all self contained)
I then registered it in AZ. Then you have to wait a year, and transfer it to CA as a "trail bike". The odometer had to have over 7200 miles on it . . . (use the Vapor model)
If I were to do it again, I'd use Baja Designs new LED headlight. It takes a lot less power to run and is B R I G H T !

I have pictures if you want. EM me and I will send you them. BTW - If you go to Ebay and check Completed Items? you can see it - the guy I sold it to just sold it for a little over $4000. . . (he super moto'd it. . . I sold it to him as it came, just with lights)
LATE!
BDN

Top Bottom