92cr

May 18, 2002
I have a 91 KX500 with an old dented PC pipe and PC silencer. I have 4 pipe options; PC MX pipe
PC Desert pipe
FMF Gnarly
FMF Gold Series Desert

I've read some feedback on the pc mx and the fmf gnarly but am wondering about the other two as well.My PC has a hairline crack in the headpipe that is just slightly seeping oil out when I ride it.Also the mounts look like they've been rewelded before.Any insight into performance and longevity would be appreciated.The Ty davis pipe is not really an option as I believe I'd have to buy the tank as well.Plus it's pricier.Gopartsdirect.com has pc pipes for $149 and fmf's for $ 162

RVL

Mar 3, 2000
I bought a used KX500 and it came with a Pro Circuit pipe on it along with the original stock pipe. I rode it for a while with the Pro Circuit pipe before someone suggested that I try the stock one. What a difference!! The stock pipe scared the **** out of me it was so much faster. The Pro Circuit pipe neutered the bike. After a little time, I got used to the extra power, and threw the PC pipe in the trashcan.

Camstyn

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 3, 1999
The FMF Fatty pipe makes the bike come on even harder in the bottom-mid transition than stock, with the expense of a bit of top end pull. I liked the stock pipe better as the FMF tired me out too much racing motocross.

Zip-Ty makes a new pipe for the 500 now, which allows a new gas tank with KX250-like radiator shrouds, to make the bike look about ten years more modern. However I haven't heard how the Zip-Ty pipe compares to the stocker performance-wise.

Camstyn

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 3, 1999
This was a few years ago, it was just called the Fatty. They didn't have a Gnarly at the time, but they did have a Desert pipe. It's definitely not the current desert pipe but there's a possibility that they may now call it the gnarly. It didn't seem like a real torque-woodsy pipe, though.

Top Bottom