KX 500 rear end kick up on jumps. Help!

mmmbeergood

Jan 22, 2003
OK, I'm still getting used to my new kx 500. I bit it today cause the rear end kicked back up over a jump and threw me off the bike. I've now got a gash in my right lower leg from the footpeg. I rode my buddy's YZ 250 over the same jump, and it didn't do that. I've toyed with the suspension, and I believe the problem is the race sag. On my KDX 200 it was 4 1/2 inches (difference measured in rear suspension travel from bike weight to rider weight). On my KX 500 it's about 2 1/4 inches. I have the Owner's manual and it gives me the measurement for stock, 223 mm mounting bolt to spring cap, for a 160 lb rider. Right now it's 220 mm and I weigh 185.
My question is, what is the proper racer sag for this bike? Neither the owners, or service manual say this.
Thanks...

Gordo

mmmbeergood

Jan 22, 2003
Thanks...

It was weird how the service, and owners manuals gave different #'s. One said that one revolution of the adjuster nut changed the setting 14 lbs, another 17.6.one said stock setting was 111mm (top mounting bolt to spring cap) the other 123.5.
Go figure!!!
Now lets ride.
No wait, there's good surf here in Myrtle, SC. I'm gonna grab my surf-kayak and....Woo Hoo!!!

Gordo

Top Bottom