jasowiii

Nov 16, 2003
Just bought a 96 KX60. Can anyone suggest a good crankcase lube? I thoought I saw "RED" stuff in one once.
I wonder what the best 2 cycle oils is? What ratio? The previous owner must have mixed it 2:1 cuz black slime was dripping out of the pipe and the back rim was covered in it. I put in a tank @ 40-42:1 of a synthetic snowmobile oil and it seemed to clean it up.

Jimmy

Eiswald

Aug 13, 2002
I have always used motor oil and change it evert few rides, The oil does not go bad it gets dirty and these bikes are so easy on oil that every time I change it I feel bad. You can use the $5 stuff if you want but I see no need if you change it but I have heard that anything less then 32 to 1 premix is not good for these little 2 cycles. My sons have been on KX 60's and 65's for years and no problems, great bikes unlike my 03 CR250!

Martin Cole

Oct 12, 2003
We always ran our KX60s on 32:1 with no problem. Any good synthetic two-stroke oil is fine. If the bike has been over oiled previously, or the rider never really gave it any serious use, you may find the pipe is oiled up inside and, more likely, the silencer packing is saturated with the stuff. Get rid of it and start afresh. You will find when the wadding gets full it does drip over the wheel. It's a sign things need attending to but there is probably nothing mechanically wrong.

rybo3

Jun 13, 2002
i would definately look at the packing as the cause of your
spooge problem. i have a kx 60 and that was exactely it. it
is easy to correct, and cheap.

rickyd

Hot Sauce
Oct 28, 2001
Originally posted by jasowiii
Just bought a 96 KX60. Can anyone suggest a good crankcase lube? I thoought I saw "RED" stuff in one once.

That would be the gearbox oil.. I like running Maxima gear oil.. SOme use motor oil, not sure which viscosity, do a search and should be able too find out..
Rick

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
Originally posted by jasowiii
I thoought I saw "RED" stuff in one once.

Most likely ATF. We run ATF type F in the gearbox of my son's KX80 and really like the way it shifts. We change it every ride, which I feel is as important as what you run.

OLD-N-SLOW

Nov 21, 2000
The book says 10w40 so I use 10w40 .89 crap from walmart.
No clutch problems after 31/2 years. Bet ATF would make it shift a little
easier though.
Steve

mgalicki

May 11, 2009
I use 85 wt gear oil? Never heard of using ATF. how long you been running this in the bike? Does the rider race or pleasure ride?
Thanks, mgee

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
It's a 6 year old thread.

ATF is popular because it works well and is cheap to replace every few rides. What more is a automatic trans than a wet clutch gearbox, pretty much the same things as a bike trans.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
:laugh: no kidding? Use the search function and then spend some time reading Mr. Wizard. Might also consider a car trans has bearings and shafts relying on the lubricant so it's really not as different as you imagine.

Top Bottom