reepicheep

Apr 3, 2009
I am restoring a 1990 KX-60, so I need the service manual.

Looks like the clymers is pretty good for this one, anyone have any experience with it? Would it stand alone independent of the factory service manual?

My experience with the factory manual for my 95 KDX-200 is that it's good, but not perfect. And the clymers manual is easier to find...

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
My experience with any factory or Bentley manual (Ford, MG, Triumph Jeep, KTM, Honda, Mitsubishi,.....) is that they are significantly better than any Clymer or Haynes manual I have ever looked at.

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
I feel better about the accuracy of a factory manual's specs. Clymers are nice for pictures and stuff and can be a bit more in depth.

reepicheep

Apr 3, 2009
So *that's* where this thread went! I couldn't find it! Thanks for moving me to the right place Moderators!

I'll scare up whichever manual I can... the immediate need I have will be to be able to reinstall the stator and set the static timing. I suspect I can look at my factory KDX-200 manual and get the exact same procedure. And maybe the exact same pictures :)

I also need the torque specs for the cylinder head / jug bolts.

If anyone else has any advice while I am in there (1990 KX-60 with new piston put in by previous owner of dubious mechanical skills) I am all ears.

reepicheep

Apr 3, 2009
Found a cheap OEM manual on ebay and it is on the way. It's for the Suzuki version of the bike, but I'm guessing I just have to substitute all the yellow with green and I'll be good :)

Meanwhile (the manual is in the mail, I promise!) I have a few things I may need to know before it gets here (this is a Christmas project and I am running out of time)...

1) What is the torque for the crank nut that holds on the stator bell?
2) When adjusting the timing, do you line it up with the valley of the V machined into the case, or with the post that rises from the uppermost peak of that V?
3) What is the torque for the cylinder head / jug bolts?

If anyone had a manual handy and knows this... it may be a monday morning project.

The other thing I have to figure out is how to cobble together a tool to hold the magneto cup to torque down the stator nut. My old tricks (block rear wheel in high gear) aren't working because the clutch slips.

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
Some guys feed a section of rope into the cylinder with the piston at BDC. It will prevent the piston from rising all the way allowing you to torque the flywheel nut. I can't help with a torque spec.

reepicheep

Apr 3, 2009
Good tip, except that the top end is off right now also... and I hate to put that much stress on the crank. It can probably take it, but 50 foot pounds of torque is more then a KX-60 crank would ever see in real service. Probably fine, but I would like to avoid that if possible.

I got a oil filter strap wrench (the steel one with a section of roller chain), I'll have to see if that'll withstand 50 ft lbs. I got the beefiest one they had... hopefully it will hold.

My KDX-200 used 47 ft lbs for it's crank nut, so the KX 60 is probably close to that (maybe less).

reepicheep

Apr 3, 2009
For the record, the "bike chain" oil filter straps will not stand up to 50 ft pounds of torque. It exploded before it hit 35 or so. The steel strap ones do better, and (sorry from memory) that torque spec for that crank nut is lower then 50 foot pounds anyway.

As I recall, right about the time the steel oil filter wrench was starting to come apart (the biggest beefiest one I could find at the auto parts store... $7 or something), the torque wrench was pretty close to where the manual said the spec was for that nut.

I was erring a little on the low end of the torque range anyway (with lock-tite red), as a previous owner had buggered up those threads on the crank anyway and I was hoping they would hold (they did, I was lucky). That saved me having to cut threads for the next size down and finding a new appropriate crank nut.

We just finished a set of mods for the bike last night and had the first test run, I'll post that on another thread, it turned out pretty well.

Top Bottom