KTM Shorty

Jun 20, 2002
I just picked up an '01 KX 65 for my son. The clutch doesn't seem to disengage completely. If you shift from neutral to 1st without a quick rev of the engine, the bike will lurch and stall. Also, if you pull in the clutch while moving, the bike "chuggs" for a few feet before disengaging. By the way the clutch releases is adjusted so it releases when the lever is way out. If you adjust it so the release point is farther in, the problem gets worse. All of this is making it more difficult for the little guy to learn to ride with a clutch.

Is this indicative of worn friction plates or a warped steel plates?

Vytas

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 31, 2001
The clutch basket may have become grooved.  Pull the cover and check where the clutch plates engage the basket and ensure that the surfaces are flat.  If worn slightly you can file down these areas for a quick fix, if badly worn you may need to replace the basket.  Good Luck.

Jasle

Sponsoring Member
Nov 27, 2001
I have also seen these symptoms with using too thick of an oil. You'r going to need to inspect the clutch basket anyways so while you have it apart clean the clutch pack with brake clean. Then use something like maxima 75wt ultra light or even Automotive ATF.
If you search the old files a kid with another kx had this exact problem and it went away with simply an oil change...but the baskets can notch and cause the same thing.

Eiswald

Aug 13, 2002
My son races a KX 65 and I have always used 30wt motor oil in all my bikes, He can start it in gear and the oil is cheap! I would check the basket.

mxfever

Jan 10, 2003
Being that it is an '01 you might need to rebuild the clutch. We had the same problem. Does your son use the clutch alot, my son abuses the clutch so we found some plates that were cyro treated and that made life so much better. It will start in gear and lasts forever. We are on our 2nd year with the same clutch and never adjust the cable. I got my parts from Racer's Choice they helped me out with lots of info and they race KX's. You can reach them at 972-288-3586. Thanks Micheal

KTM Shorty

Jun 20, 2002
Thanks guys, Here is and update but first a testimonial for Town & Country Cycle in Sussex , NJ. Fortunately, I bought the bike used from this dealer, which is the one that I buy all my bikes from. Here's why I use this guy. When I asked him about it, there was no hestitation in his response "don't worry about it, bring it in and we'll get it right, if we can't, you'll get a full refund." That's what service should be like no B.S. just do the right thing. I bought 4 bikes from him, 2 new 2 used and I buy all my gear and parts from him. I don't even shop around when I buy a new KTM every three years. He always charges me a fair price and he has never screwed me. For that he has my loyalty.

Anyway, it was the clutch basket which had some very minor notching going on. I could have checked it out and fixed it myself but, figured I'd ask him before I tore it down. With that kind of response why hassle with it yourself?

Thanks.

Jasle

Sponsoring Member
Nov 27, 2001
that is the reason I preach to people to create a relationship with your local dealer. they can come in and prove themselves with help like that. I bet youd would not go down the street and buy a bike somewhere else just to save a few $$$ if you guys had service like that!

Top Bottom