chattlax2

Aug 5, 2007
i have a kx 65 that has been sitting for a while, and when i go to pull the clutch and front brake, there isn't any tension, i assume both cables need to be replace and possibly the cluth and brake handles themselves..is this a tough job?

FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005
OK, the front brake is hydraulic, so there is no cable to replace there, check the level of the brake fluid in the master cylinder, and try bleeding the brake, perhaps it will help. But first, take a quick look at the adjuster bolt on the lever itself (it is covered by a rubber boot), if it is fully in, turn it out (8mm open end wrench) about a quarter inch and see if it feels better.

The clutch is cable driven, you should have a slight amount of space between the edge of the handle and the perch, if it is more than a couple of mm's, turn the thumb screw on the perch to adjust it. If it is already out, then screw it all the way in and get a 10 mm wrench. On the right side of the engine, you will find the other end of the cable, held in place by two nuts, loosen the one nearest the lever on the engine, and tighten the other to adjust it there, when you get it close, fine tune it on the perch.

If the cable is broken, then you remove it by taking off the lever, (dont remember the wrench sizes, but i think it was a 10 and a 6 or 8) and slipping the end of the cable out of it. Then you line up the slots in the perch and adjustment screw, and slide the cable out from the top. GO to the bottom and fully loosen the nut nearest that end of the cable, pull the cable forward out of the holder, and rotate the cable end until it will slip out of it's position. I should take less time to remove the cable than it took me to type this.

BTW, remember how the cable is routed!

sscheller69

Jul 28, 2007
tranny fluid

Frudaddy,

I just purchased an 06 kx 65 leftover. My 7 year old is killing it after 2 rides coming off a ktm50.

I need some advice on oil mix, tranny fluid and filter/oil.

What kind of oil mix do you recommend and at what ratio?

What kind of tranny fluid do you use, the book says 10w40?

What kind of aftermarket air filter and oil do you recommend?

thanks for the help.

Steve
Pittsburgh 05kx250, 06kx65

FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005
sscheller69 said:
What kind of oil mix do you recommend and at what ratio?
I run BP 93 octane pump gas and Motul 800 at 40:1

sscheller69 said:
What kind of tranny fluid do you use, the book says 10w40?
Bel Ray gear saver 75wt

sscheller69 said:
What kind of aftermarket air filter and oil do you recommend?
I keep a couple of Twin Air filters, and am currently using No-toil oil, but I don't like the No-toil cleaner. PJ1 aerosol cleaner is a lot faster and easier when it comes to cleaning the filters.

Of course, all of this is personal preference, but it has served me pretty well.

Top Bottom