KX 80 Jetting/Spooge

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
I posted a similar thread in the maintenace forum last week but didn't get much for replies so I'll try the mini forum since the issue is with an 80.

My son's 99 KX80 runs strong and doesn't seem to stumble or bog at anytime through the throttle, I haven't made a note of the current jets in the bike but it is spooging from the joint where the silencer and head pipe join. I am currently running Shell premium pump fuel 92 octane with Yamalube2 at 32:1, NGK BR9EYA plug (Was in it when we bought it and runs strong so stayed with that plug) Bike has never fouled a plug and like I said seems real strong all the way from bottom to top in throttle response so I'm not sure where to start as far as leaning it out to eliminate the spooge.

If I had to guess I would say it is one of the slow speed circuits as my son is not a super aggressive racer yet and I doubt he's WFO very often during his laps.

Anyone got any tips or should I just start with the airscrew and then move on to the pilot and needle from there and chart how each change affects performance?

Any advice appreciated as I'm reluctant to fiddle while it is running good as my mechanical skills are somewhat suspect :think:

Jasle

Sponsoring Member
Nov 27, 2001
Keep track of where you are now and then try this.
Turn air screw in until there is a bog just of idle. then go out 1/4 turn untilt he bog is just gone. try it there.
But seeing pics of your kid ride I don't suppose he stays in the bottom portion of the throttle so I'd guess your off 1 or two sizes on the main...W
What does your plug look like?

Did the vid make it?
Jason

Chili

Apr 9, 2002
Jason, Thanks for the tips, I'm probably going to start playing with it this week if we get time. As for the plug I am going to put a new plug in and start to check it more regularly, I'd be hesitant to take anything from the plug that is in it right now as it's been in there all summer. Never seems to be enough hours in the week right now. No sign of the tape yet but I'm sure it will arrive soon.

Chili

Apr 9, 2002
I started playing with it a bit today after riding his friends 00 RM80, the RM80 seemed stronger off the bottom out of turns so I figured maybe Troy's bike wasn't as clean as it could be in the slow speed circuits. I started with the air screw and noticed almost no difference at all from 1/4 turn out to 5 turns out. I then moved the clip up one position from the middle (3rd) to the 4th from the bottom. Just to make sure I'm thinking the right way here turning the air screw in leans it out and moving the clip up also leans it correct? As for throttle response at the lower thottle settings 1/4 and 1/8 etc should the test be just riding at a steady throttle setting and checking for a bog or crackle? The reason I ask is Troy's bikes seems steady but from about 1/8 throttle if I rip it WFO the bike kind of hesitates then hit's, if I get the revs up a little higher say closer to 1/4 throttle then it doesn't hesitate when wicked WFO. Is this just the nature of a 80 that it needs to be revving like crazy? or is that hesitation a sign the jetting is off slightly? A quick fan of the clutch deals with any hesitation quickly and I just assumed that was the nature of an 80.

RanMan

May 22, 2002
Actually, turning the air screw in richens the mixture (on the air screw). Completely opposite on bikes with fuel screw. If the screw is between carb and air box, then it's an air screw. If it is between carb and intake, then it's fuel screw. Most 2 smokes have air screws. You are correct on needle though, raising clip leans it out. If it bogs when WOT and sounds like it is breathing hard, that sounds lean. If it stumbles and skips, then it sounds rich.
I've been having alot of headache getting my son's YZ85 tuned right. Seems to be running OK now, but has lots and lots of spooge still.

Chili

Apr 9, 2002
No real bog to speak of it just takes a moment of hesitation before it actually starts to "hit and this is only when rolling along at about 1/8 throttle and then grabbing a handful to straight WOT, if I'm up around 1/4 throttle it hits immediately and lifts the front end. It does tend to smoke a fair bit as well (silencer repacked last week) so still think it may be rich somewhere. Going to play with the airscrew more tonight and then hopefully this coming monday I have a day off and I'll mark the throttle and go through the procedure listed on Eric's site for dealing with each circuit.

Can anyone confirm should this 80 be able to rip the throttle WOT from an 1/8 setting or barely rolling and have it hit immediately or is the hesitation normal? I don't want to chase my tail searching for an answer to something that is simply a characteristic of the bike.

94ruck

Sep 14, 2001
I have a KX 80 99 model for my boy. he is an intermediate mxer and hare scrambler. he spends 80% of his time ripping up trails. The bike had a tendency to spooge when I got it. i have the stock jetting but I also am running the needle clip 2nd from the top. There is no hesitation and the bike revs quick and smooth from 0 to full. I switched the exhaust to a pro circuit pipe and silencer(not for power but to keep from bending up the stock pipe in the Missouri rocks). The spooging is much lees now but it took time for the crap to run out of the pipe after making the clip change.
If the bike is run al slower engine speeds it will continue to drip goop.

IrishEKU

A General PITA.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 21, 2002
Chili,
I just did a KX 100 top end in the shop yesterday. The kid had slid an FMF pwr. core on it and I had to lean it down by one size on the jet. Another thing you cold try is the BR8ES. If this boesnt work, it might be a "deeper issue" :( like one of the crank seals leaking and gettin thrown in with the combustion process.

My .02

Phillip

stevetro

Apr 17, 2002
Chili,

I'm real interested in this issue as well! We have a 1990 KX80 with the exact same symptoms. The bike just received a new top and bottom makeover by Eric Gorr with a plate job and .080 over - so we know the engine is tight. We fired it up only to be bummed that the old "crusty", rich feel is still there from 1/8 to 1/4. Bike also spooges. Following the pre-Carb tuning checklist, the float level was definately too high, so I adjusted that, and then went out the maximum 3 turns on the air screw, since any further risks it falling out. This made a slight improvement, but more is needed. Then I also moved the needle clip up one notch in the lean direction, but really no difference from 1/8 to 1/4.

So my next step... I ordered a few jets and I'm gonna put the air screw and clip position back at default setting and play with the pilot/slow jet to see if that does anything. I even ordered some optional main jets as well.

I'll let you know - keep in touch,
Steve

stevetro

Apr 17, 2002
Oh, another thing... our bike has an FMF Fatty Pipe. I've even considered putting the stock pipe back on. BTW, don't trust the Jet Guide posted by FMF, they have the wrong stock jets spec'ed for our year bike, so I don't trust the changes they suggest. I called their tech, but they didn't seem too interested.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…