Kx 80

motocross3

Jan 30, 2008
I was riding up a hill got 3/4 of the way up and it started making a loud popping noise and cut off. Tried to kick start it and would'nt start. Then i tried to pop the clutch but didn't start so i pushed it home and changed plug and checked compression and cleaned air filter changed oil and sprayed starting fluid in it and tried to start it but still wouldn't start. I'm confused if it has spark and gas shouln't it start. Any help is appreciated

motocross3

Jan 30, 2008
Not Sure. When the spark plug was out i stuck my finger in the hole and pushed kick starter down and could feel the air coming out.

griffbones

Sep 12, 2006
That is NOT a compression test. Go buy a $25 tester at the auto parts store and see what you really have. If the bike has lost most of the compression, then it's not going to want to start. Your other option is to take the top end off and check it out. The fact that the bike quit under a heavy load really makes me think that you might have damaged the top end.

AwfulSmokey

Oct 15, 2007
You should also check your float. Improper float height on a hill can cause problems. It's possible, although not likely that your float got stuck.

griffbones

Sep 12, 2006
The factory specs say 119 to 185 is the useable compression range. Realistically you should see 150 to 165 if the top end is in good shape.

jschiller

Mar 5, 2007
Hhhhmmm! popping noise! also check your timing, if the woodruf key on the magneto broke it will make popping noises.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…