Dizzeh69

Nov 25, 2008
Hi guys. I've recently had the opportunity to finally get a bike for myself and I have been shopping around on Craigslist and Ebay a lot lately. My mom is willing to spend about 1100 maximum. I recently have received emails from three different people. The first was from a guy who has a 2005 Kawasaki KX 85 bored to 110CC with Platinum Pro Circuit exhaust and factory connection suspension. The second is of a 2003 Yamaha TTR-125LR completely stock with less than 20 hours. The third bike is a Yamaha TTR-125L with Big Gun Evo Exhaust, re-jetted carb, air filter screen modification (removed basically) for only $950. Now I am 145lbs and 5' 8'' and I feel like since the 85 sits higher it would be a much better ride especially if I purchased new wheels however, the third TTR-125 is a bit raised with larger wheels and sits a bit higher than the KX. I really am so indecisive. With my new job coming in January I can't wait to get more parts to mod the bike of my choice and the TTR has so many inexpensive mods that it seems like I would kill the KX 85. Please if you guys could help me out!

So I will lay it all out:
-145lbs 5' 8"
-15 Years of Age
-Ride Trails More Than Tracks
-Need Good Top and Low End So I Can Beat My Cousin and Uncle
-I Really Have Ridden Only 5 or 6 times, twice on a JR80 and the others on a TTR-90 and 125
-Willing to Spend $1200 Max

2-Strokes 4-ever

~SPONSOR~
Feb 9, 2005
Missouri
The TTR will be a better learning tool, but at your height and weight you'll be out-riding the suspension in no time (they're soft and made for a casual pace.) You're even too big for the 85 although the motor will be WAY faster than the TTR. You're just perfect for a smaller-engine full size bike (125 2stroke or 250 4stroke.) With your budget, there are plenty of used 125 2strokes out there. The 250 4strokes are still fairly new to the market, and I doubt you can find one in your price range (and if you do, look out... it's probably a mess.) Whatever you decide, leave room in your budget for some parts/maintainance issues... dirt bikes need constant attention.

Dizzeh69

Nov 25, 2008
Okay. I appreciate the info. My friend was telling me I'm kind of in an awkward position with my height, weight, age, and bike choice. Now if I were to get BBR springs and forks or even switch out my TTR forks and rear setup for say a YZ setup with stiffer springs, would that work? I've been all over the TTR because of how much modding you can really do to the very basic, beginner trail bike. I've spent over $1500 building my computer and modding out my game consoles. So if you haven't noticed I really do love tinkering with electronics and basically anything that has working parts.

J-man

May 16, 2007
like 2-strokes 4-ever said i would look in to the 125 2t. It will be a better bike in the long run, And im pretty sure you will be able to find more parts for one of these over the ttr. just my 2 cents.

2-Strokes 4-ever

~SPONSOR~
Feb 9, 2005
Missouri
I really think the TTR will be a bad choice. My 120 lb son was outriding his at 12. Both your choices are too small for you.

Dizzeh69

Nov 25, 2008
If both choices are not so good, then would a 1999RM 125 be a good choice for about $1000 or can I find something better around the same price if not a newer model? I actually found a bike my mom is willing to purchase for me it is a 2001 CR125R with Platinum Pro-Circuit Exhuast and a full Factory Connection suspension setup.

2-Strokes 4-ever

~SPONSOR~
Feb 9, 2005
Missouri
Now you're talking. The RM is a good bike IMO, but since the CR is newer I'd lean that direction myself as long as they're in similar condition. BTW, don't be too impressed with the suspension thing, it is most likely dialed in for the previous rider (riding ability, weight, riding conditions.... when suspension is re-worked it's a "customized for me" type thing)

Dizzeh69

Nov 25, 2008
So this is becoming a never ending hunt. My uncle had me sit on his TTR-230 and said I would easily grow into it. I could touch my toes with sneakers on, so I would definitely be able to touch with boots. I was looking at an '08 KLX140 for only 2600 but I'm positive we could get it for 2200 and my mom is willing to get me another bike next year. This seems like it has enough snap and I can't ride an MX bike because of the hills and stuff I will be riding through with my cousin.

May 10, 2007
you can ride an mx bike though hills. infact i would rather take that 125 up a hill climb then that 230. the 125 will have a lot more power and will teach you to keep the revs in the meat of the power. the 230 or 140 would be ok but the 230 will be the same size (height) as the 125 but about half the power and a good 30 or 40 pounds heavier.

Dizzeh69

Nov 25, 2008
I know I can ride an MX bike through hills, but I'm really going to be riding tight trails with my cousin and her friends. I think the Honda would be a little overkill with a 2 foot wide trail with lots of burms and tight corners. I will be getting to ride a 230 tomorrow and the KLX 140l too, so I will see how I like them. Its more or less coming down to preference.

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
If all you want is a little bike to zip around the woods on the ttr125l is a good choice. They're pretty rock solid, low maintenance little bikes. If you want to tinker you can do endless things to it.

A 230 is just as heavy as a 2t 125, which is what makes a bike feel big when riding. An mx bike is taller, but once moving a 125 2t will probly feel lighter.

Mar 18, 2006
I'm thinking one of those klx140's could be a really good bike, If Kawasaki got it right, it has the potential to become the greatest bike in its class. A good 4-stroke playbike will be a lot easier to ride in the tight, steep stuff than an 85 or 125 race bike for sure.

Mar 18, 2006
I just read the thread again. You are 5'8" and 145lb. You will outgrow a ttr125 fast (you may already have). You may outgrow a klx140 pretty soon also. A ttr230 is pretty heavy, but probably not totally unmanageable, although as a beginner you don't need that much weight (and once you learn to ride you might not be satisfied with its suspension). I wish someone still made 175 2 stroke enduros (eg it175, kdx175), because there are lots of people in your situation. And I don't know why anything with decent performance is so tall these days. Stupid. Hard call you. There's a lot of good bikes out there, but nothing that bridges the gap between porky playbike and all out race bike, as far as I know. They made lots of those 25 years ago, and they were excellent. I'm sorry, I haven't helped. Best advise for most beginners: buy something reliable that fits you and what you will honestly be doing with it, meaning buy a trail bike for trails, in this case. I think you are definately on the right track, but the manufacturers are not, unfortunately.

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
I'm 5'10" 165-175 and I have a blast on our ttr125. It is pretty much stock and has enough power to take me anywhere I ask it to. It doesn't do it happily sometimes, but it does it. I don't suggest getting it more than a couple feet off the ground though.

Kmelthratter

Nov 20, 2008
imo a 125 is the ideal bike for you, you are exactly the size person the bike is intended for. I am 5'6" and 145 (depending on how much I drank during the week). I rode a wr250 a few times and was very unhappy with the suspension/gears/power. I recently bought my 98 cr125 and it is a perfect fit, except for the lack of low end, but that just means you have to learn to keep it in the right gear. The wr250 suspension was not good for jumping on the mx track, but CR is perfect and it gives me a lot more confidence. I rode the CR in the mountains today and have no complaints, other than the bike falling out apart because the previous owners seemed to never perform any sort of maintenance. Just because you can't easily touch the ground doesn't mean the bike is too big. You ride with your feet on the pegs, not the ground, keep that in mind.

Dizzeh69

Nov 25, 2008
After riding for the first time in over a year I tried the TTR-125 and was disappointed. I was so cautious and scared to get back on when I realized how weak it really was... Don't get me wrong its fun to tool around on, but I would rather ride a JR80 its faster , smoother, and way to small for me. So its a toss up on two final choices a 2009 KLX140 (if we can get a good deal) or '99 KX100 and I really like the KX100.

jb1164

Dec 1, 2008
My son is a similar age and height. All the bikes you've mentioned will be too small in a short time. His advice is to buy a 125 and 'rag it'. I think that means ride it and prepare to drop it a few times whilst learning - however I'm over 40 and don't understand half of what he says most of the time

May 10, 2007
after reading what you have said i still stay with a 125 2T. you will outgrow that 100 pretty fast. it will be the same size as that ttr but a lot more powerful. it will also have less bottom end then the 125.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
My son is your size and has no problem with his CR125, he actually likes it just fine in the woods and it's big fun on the track but he's been riding since he was 3 or so. I feel that a RM125 or KX125 would be an even better choice for you because they have a powervalve engine which will give you better bottom end than the CR or YZ. I know it's exciting and you just want a bike but take your time, look around and find one that is nice condition. It will make your experience MUCH mor happy and you'll end up with something that you can ride for a few years which should make your mom happy as well.

J-man

May 16, 2007
The 125 2-stroke will be the best idea. If you think it is going to be too powerful in the hills, It wont. Like Patman said take your time to find a good bike that you will not be tired of in a few months. Its a mistake that i made and im sure alot of other people on here have done as well. Im about your height and 15 pounds more thatn you but im telling you the TTR125 will be too small. Look into a good sturdy 125 2 stroke.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom