KX engine swap? 100 to 85 What works.

Humdinger

Nov 29, 2001
Found a super deal on a KX100 and bought it for my son who was riding a TTR125. This thing in like comparing a Ninja 500 to a Hyabusa 1300. He wont even look at the TTR now and thinks he is Bubba Stewart. Actually he is starting to ride like him too. Compaired to him riding the TTR. LOL
He wants to start racing this year and I was looking at the classes he would have to ride in to find that the 100 only Qualifies for the super mini. I dont think this is the class to start a first time racer out in. I was thinking of finding a KX80 or 85 motor and putting it in the KX100 frame. I know this will work but which years will work. Does the Suzuki motor work too, and which years.

ktmdad

Feb 29, 2000
Just putting the 85 motor in the 100 will still not make the bike legal for mini sr. class. You'll need to change the swingarm as it's about 1 1/2" to long and replace the wheels the 19 & 16 wheels with 17 & 14 wheels for it to be legal in Mini Sr.

MX-727

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 4, 2000
Double check your area, some organizers allow the 100's in the beginner class until the kid wins. I've also heard of some that allow the kid to race but he can't earn a trophy.

DEANSFASTWAY

LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 16, 2002
The cylinders/head /pistonassy all swap over . The bottom end is the same . If your son is just starting out they shoulds let him go . All the parts look about the same externally except on the sideof the cyl where the 100 says 1.0 litre and the 80 says .8litre . Just be nice about it and maybe you wont have to change anything . But if junior starts winning against the 80s he might get protested by a few MXdads .GOOD LUCK

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…