midgemaster

Jul 15, 2001
I'm looking at a new '00 KDX 220 that has dealer installed KX forks instead of the stock forks. Any benefits? Good idea or not? They seem to think so. Your thoughts?

Canadian Dave

Super Power AssClown
Apr 28, 1999
Its not an uncommon conversion by any means and the results are excellent especially if the conversion is done by someone with a good chassis tuning background.

A good conversion requires more than just swapping out the front end. The KX forks have more travel and therefor elevate the front end of the bike. To maintain chassis geometry the forks should be shortened internally, not a big job, or the height of the rear suspension raised. I'm no suspension expert so can't comment on which method of raising the rear end is better. I can tell you can raise the rear end by installing a longer shock shaft, different pull rods (dog bones), etc. Your best bet would be to talk to a suspension expert.

Sounds like a winner to me and certainly makes the bike more appealing even if you need to spend a little money to set it up just right.

David

kdxdude

May 19, 2001
KLX 300 forks?

I like the idea of mx forks but , will KLX 300 inverted forks work easier? I wonder what the hassels are etc, what i hear is that the inverted forks on the KLX 300 are not bad units. I onder if the forks are the same height and diameter as the stock KDX forks. Would be kinda cool with a 220 with inverted forks. Just a thought

midgemaster

Jul 15, 2001
funny you should mention that

Actually, it turns out that the forks on the bike I mentioned are the KLX forks not the KX forks. Now I have a new question -- Will the KLX forks be OK of a KDX220? Thanks in advance for any and all input. I want to buy this bike! I just want to make sure the mods are OK since I'm new at this.

teton

Dec 13, 2000
Just so happens that I just bought a 95 200 with KLX 300 forks on it, (also got the original forks) came with Emig racing claimps. I asume that the KLX triple claimps will work. I wont be able to ride it for a long time due to a broken leg, but could'nt pass up the deal for the bike. The guy I bought from was the 2nd owner, he liked the forks but never used the stock units. He tod me that the original owner who did the conversion really liked the USD forks over the stock forks, rode tight trails and enduro's. On a page back there is a post called: suspension stuff, a KDX rider Daniel Josph, didnt care much for the KLX forks, has them for sale BTW.
Most mags that I have read seams to like the KLX suspension, both bikes are quick turning and have short wheelbases.
My .02 (before taxes):)

Canadian Dave

Super Power AssClown
Apr 28, 1999
Internally the KLX and KDX forks are basically identical with the same poorly designed valving. The KLX forks will offer less underhang, which is a good thing, and more rigidity, which may or may not be a good thing, other than that they are basically the same animal.

The only real down side I can see to the KLX forks is some difficulty finding springs. They are available but I know at one point in time were pricey. The god news is the stock springs though grossly soft for the KLX should be almost right for the KDX.

Suspension travel shouldn't be a problem.

No the KLX forks will not fit into the KDX triple clamps. You need the complete front end off a KLX or aftermarket KX triple clamps.

David

teton

Dec 13, 2000
Sorry Dave, I didnt exactly say what I ment to say, I ment to say that the KLX triple claimps should work with the KDX frame, you will have to check to make sure the stem will fit, if not you might have to get a KDX stem pressed into the lower claimp. The extra cost of buying new after market claimps and a stem might be costly.

Canadian Dave

Super Power AssClown
Apr 28, 1999
No problem tenon. That comment didn't stem from your post but rather I thought I'd answer the question before it was asked, you just know it was coming ;)

David

teton

Dec 13, 2000
I sure would like to try both out and see for my self which fork I prefer, esp. if the insides are the same. I know that the 43mm's have the Gold Valves, and Race Tech XR400 springs (I think they are .38's) I might have to change to a heavyer spring, I believe that I read in another thread to use .41's.
I have no idea whats in the USD forks.

Canadian Dave

Super Power AssClown
Apr 28, 1999
Looks like you've got some playing to do ;). Your Gold Valves will fit in either the USD or conventional forks so no additional expense to improve the USD units if that's something you'd like to do. You could also run one GV in the USD and the other in the stock forks if you want to directly compare the two. I've never run only one aftermarket valve assemble in a pair of forks but there are many people who have and claim good results? ? ?

Ya the RT replacement XR and KDX springs are the same. Some people use stock xr400 springs in the KDXs.

David

midgemaster

Jul 15, 2001
i'm still very much a beginner but i found so i don't have any real advice to give but I found a complete hop-up guide for the KLX (and all other) forks at www.racetech.com. It tells you everything you need (valves, springs . . .) according to your weight, riding style, etc . . . If any more experienced riders check this out, please let me know what you think. Thanks!

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom