KX/KDX200 **Finally complete and picture to prove**

BucKat

~SPONSOR~
Mar 27, 2002
Here is a teaser shot of my newly completed KX/KDX 200 hybrid neatly titled "Project Ksub-dX"
It's a big picture so dial ups beware. Sorry!

2000 KX125 frame surronding a 96KDX200 motor. DynoPort supplied the fire tube....reads: expansion chamber....
Inital test ride proves this to be a winning combination.
More to follow once I complete my website greatly detailing the steps involved. Pictures galore.

:aj:
http://mywebpage.netscape.com/Buckatana12/KX200.JPG

gn83tm

Dec 30, 2002
Looking good!! My own version (2003 chassis/1990 motor) is getting close. The frame is painted now so it's time to start the reassembly - once I can find some time. The pipe on mine was probably the most time consuming thing since DynoPort doesn't make a pipe for the conversion with the 03+ chassis. They sent me a box of parts that I had to fit and weld. Turned out nice but took a while. It looks close to the same as yours - go figure!

Have Fun!!

fivefour

Jan 31, 2003
Nice job! The KDX and KX frames look so simliar What are the major differences? Besides suspension

pdiddy

Mar 5, 2004
hmmmm......

Me thinks I need a KX frame.............. :clue:

Thats nice. Its my new background pic on my laptop. :thumb:

fender92883

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Aug 26, 2002
I can't get to the site! Could somebody post the picture here? I wanna' see it!

BucKat

~SPONSOR~
Mar 27, 2002
Thanks for the words guys.

The project took the better part of the winter. Not bad considering what I had to start with.
The BEFORE

Yes...I was lucky with the pipe. I was able to grab DP's last pipe. It did need to be massaged to get it in there.

Besides the suspension.....the handling is different,,,it's narrower and has a much smaller tank. The OEM tank required some remolding to accomodate the taller coolant tower. I have a 3.2 gallon IMS tank that is close to fit. A little heat....some pressure and it too will pop right in there.
IMS3.2 Gallon Tank

Yep.......that pic has become one of my many personal backrounds. :thumb:

Ride report: It's jetted a little too lean on top right now. I'll throw a CEL needle in and that should help. Will have to drop the pilot a size or two aswell.I'm currently running a 165 main and don't have anything larger yet. Weather here is in the low 50s.The season has just begun so the jetting fun begins.
I only had 45min to play so far. The front is a bit stiff compared to the back end. I'll have to figure out how to match the front sag to the rear sag(100mm). Inverted forks are new to me so there will be a learning curve there.
I love the way it handles. In the woods...on the fire roads....etc. I'm much quicker... so it would seem.....mainly because of my confinence level.....and cuz it's a really,really cool bike. In reality,,,,,,,,I'm probly slower but..........it just feels good.

More to come.

gwhII

Mar 31, 2003
Buck, great looking bike!

Tico

Feb 6, 2004
Great bike buddy!

Just curious ... how long did it take to complete the project? Can you provide us an approximate cost?

FLBusa

May 29, 2003
Really nice Buck :thumb:

What need to be done to the KX frame in order to get the KDX motor in?

fender92883

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Aug 26, 2002
Can somebody post a picture of it here? I still can't make the link work and I gotta' see this bike! Somebody gimme' a hand!!

crashburn36

Mar 25, 2002
I am in the middle of my Kx 200 conversion as well. For all that have been asking you have to cut the brackets off the KX frame and fabricate and weld new ones on. If you have access to a shop with a lot of power tools it is no prob. I just used a scroll saw and grinder to cut and smooth out the mounts. Then take a 3/8 drill bit and drill the holes for the bolt that goes through the brackets/engine. Honestly the hardest part of the whole deal is just lining everything up to mark and cut it. And then the swingarm takes a bit of cutting. Should have it together in another two weeks or so.

BucKat

~SPONSOR~
Mar 27, 2002
MY WEBSITE is not quite finished yet but here's the link to it. Use the MENU button in the top left and/or right corner(s) of the page to navigate through the site.
When I get time I'll finish it and post lots of pictures of the finished product. Including the carbon fiber'd gas tank and airbox. Yes...it's real CF. :thumb:
Cheers.

Buc

Michelle

Sponsoring Member
Oct 26, 1999
It takes a while.
See if this works. I've resized it, but not sure if I've got it right or not.

Buc, looks really good :)

Attachments

• KX200.jpeg
    69.2 KB · Views: 120

BucKat

~SPONSOR~
Mar 27, 2002
Ahhh....there it is. Yep...still nicely tucked away in my basement.

fender92883

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Aug 26, 2002
Aaaah...that IS a nice bike! Well worth the wait! Nice job Buc!

It's not that the page took a while to load, it's that the page popped up that said "This page cannot be displayed" and it happened about 20 times.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…