Status
Not open for further replies.

Kx_rider

Mar 19, 2007
northwestern Ontario
Hey all> latley iv been hearing ppl calling Kx's time bombs on wheels. saying they always blow up and are not relibile, now this kinda wants to lean me away from upgradeing to a new KX250, Any info on this? also Im looking at YZ's and RM's always open to CRF's but only if im despert. so basicly Kx's yz's and rm's Can i get some info on these models, commets on comman problems things to watch for. Anything really that will help guide me> Ill add that i am a Fan of the KX's and Im not a yamaha or honda fan, im am curise for a taste of RM's but i wont buy something i dont know if ill or not
like. thank guys

CaptainObvious

Formally known as RV6Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
Your post is difficult to read, but I'll do my best to give you some advise.

No bike is a "time bomb" if proper maintenance is performed. Different bikes require different types of maintenance. For example, a two-stroke will require more frequent replacement of top-end components (piston, rings and bearing). However, the replacement is easy and fairly inexpensive. On the other hand, a four-stroke requires close attention to an inspection schedule. When parts need to be replaced, the procedure is a bit more complected and more expensive due to the added complexity of the engine (valve-train).

If you are looking to purchase a well maintained KX250, it should give you hours of reliable service. However, I would suggest when purchasing any used bike that a top-end inspection be performed. This way parts that have reached their service limits can be identified and replaced, rather then waiting for them to fail. When components fail, you will be looking at well over $1,000 of repair whether the bike is a two-stroke or four-stroke.

KX02

Jan 19, 2004
I've had a 2002 KX and a 2005 KX, neither one ever "exploded" on me. They do wear out tires, chains, etc.

Kevin003

Jul 5, 2005
All my buddies are on the "Go green or go home" phase. And they have been that way for years.

76GMC1500

Uhhh...
Oct 19, 2006
The engines are ok, the whole split the cases to change the seals is a little annoying. Older Kawasakis used to eat up the power valves if they carboned up, could be avoided with regular maintenance. There were a lot of plating problems in the cylinders of previous generations, get it replated if it has a problem and it will never come back. The worst problem was frame cracking. I'm sure Kawasaki has straightened most of these out since the early 90's, but the reputation sticks. Everybody has their problems, though. Suzuki's eat clutches, Yamahas are too expensive to repair, etc...

griffbones

Sep 12, 2006
Recent factory plating is complete crap! Just ask me how I know! I am expecting a cylinder back from Eric tomorrow, I had to have it replated after only 17-20 hours of operation. Eric said it didn't appear to be anything that I had done wrong, just a poor quality plating job from the factory. My problems have all been on a KX85 and KX100 engines, so maybe the big bikes are better.

76GMC1500

Uhhh...
Oct 19, 2006
I said older bikes, but maybe the new ones just haven't been around long enough to develop all of these problems.

mkelly04

Jul 27, 2007
From my experience older bikes that are not maintained are "time bombs" no matter what color the plastic is.

As far as kawasaki goes I wouldnt hesitate to get an 03 or newer 250.

Moto Squid

~SPONSOR~
Jul 22, 2002
You can grenade any bike...last year my YZ blew in a grand fashion. Had a faulty airboot/airbox seal and it sucked alot of sand. Within a few hours of riding the piston wore itself down so far it must have stuck a litte, shattered half of one side off and cracked the rest of the piston really bad. The chunks took out the lower end too. Oops.

The KX might not be a bad bike, I just wouldnt own one :) I rode an 03 or 04 250 and that thing vibrated my teeth out. Thats my experience with them.

Racesmith

Nov 15, 2006
I have an 06 KX250, and I yet to come across a problem other than it shredding tires and chains and the bark off of trees.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Rooster said:
Gee, I never knew that. :coocoo:

Try to get out more Rooster. This sheltered life you are leading is clearly having a negative impact on your on your motodudedness. :whoa:

Rooster

Today's Tom Sawyer
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 24, 2000
Hey Rich! I'm grabbing a piece of insulation foam to line the bottom of the box to ship the engine back to you.

Seriously, though, are Yamaha parts more spendy? I've had nothing but Yamaha since I started riding (except for the occasional buddy bike). Then again, I always had a 20% discount at the local shop.

Last edited:

76GMC1500

Uhhh...
Oct 19, 2006
From my experiences with Yamaha parts, they are about 10-20% more than Honda and Kawasaki's. I've never bought a Suzuki part so I can't comment on those. Also, there are several discout dealers for Honda parts including Service Honda. Their prices are usually 20-30% below list. 10-20% is hardly a huge difference when most dirt bike repairs are going to run you $50-200 in parts. But, when you compare the price of Yamaha parts to other brands available through discout dealers, the savings are quite significant (40+% in some cases). Of course, Yamaha bikes are well designed and built which makes them reasonably reliable. They come with some kind of waranty. They have a lot of trick parts from the factory so you don't have to spend a lot of money on aftermarket stuff right after you buy them. So, maybe the parts are worth the extra money.

Rooster

Today's Tom Sawyer
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 24, 2000
I had no idea that Yamaha parts were that much higher in price. Not that it matters, I have a stable full of Yamaha bikes that I would never give up, even if parts are cheaper on other brands.

Besides, blue is cool. :)

Rooster

Today's Tom Sawyer
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 24, 2000
keithcr250r said:
Red means faster..

Heh, here we go again!

The best bike out there is the one you are currently riding, no matter the color or brand. :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom