Jul 9, 2007
Hey guys, how have y'all been doing?! Long time no talk. But I come to you seeking advice on an issue that has been happening for a while but it seems to have gotten worse lately. After every ride I notice Trans oil dripping all over the place underneath the bike. This is the only time it leaks, when the bike has just been run. The transmission fluid could be filled to the top when cold and not a drip will leak.

The fluid seems to be comming from the inner transmission case seal. This is not the clutch cover seal but the one between the clutch and the crankcase and gears of the transmission itself. I checked all the bolts holding it on and they are torqued correctly so I guess the seal itself is fried because there are no cracks in the cases either.

The question is how much of a PITA would it be to replace the seal? I really dont want to get into a major teardown at this time as Im still riding it pretty much everyday and I have some MX races comming up so I cant have any major downtime. Id appreciate any advice I can get on this. Thanks.

CHR!S

Jun 30, 2006
If the right side clutch seal is leaking, tranny oil is going to leak into the crankcase and run through then engine. A host of problems could result.

Jul 9, 2007
It isnt the clutch seal that is leaking, it is the outer seal between the mating surfaces of the section between the clutch cover and the transmission and such. It looks as if it encompasses the water pump cover and the power valve governor body. The whole seal isnt leaking its just a section of the bottom of it in the lower corner down below the position of the kick starter. I am hoping its not gonna be too much of a pain to fix but I really dont want it running out of oil while Im riding along and Im sick of having it drip on the garage floor.

CHR!S

Jun 30, 2006
Check to see if the cover is cracked. If not then if it has a gasket see if thats leaking. or put some liquid gasket on it. and if the case is cracked i guess you could try some jb weld?

Top Bottom