aaldape

Mar 18, 2007
So I have been switching bikes like they are going out of fashion, trying to find a good bike for my girlfriend to ride on. She more or less knows the mechanics well, but I plan to keep her on the Yamaha TTR225 she is riding currently for a bit just so she is comfortable.

My question is how well-suited would a KX100 be for an upgrade from a ttr for her? She is average build, 21 years old, but not super aggressive (although the TTR has its limits to that also). I was wondering if that might be a fun alternative for her to maybe transition into (while keeping the TTR, just so it can be a gradual transition...). Just a different style of bike that might allow her to get better as a rider was my thinking.

Just curious on your thoughs, as I do remember from prior posts that one of the female riders here had a 80 2t that she liked. We found the 125 was hard for her to ride when she was learning, but would a 100 be even harder? I would think the experience on the TTR would at least help her learn to ride it...

Jun 5, 2006
Well i've got a crf230 (which is basicaly the same thing as the ttr) and a kx125. i would imagine that now she knows how to ride she'll be fine on either a 125 or 100.

NM_KDX200

Dec 29, 2002
I think a KX100 would be excellent, but it depends on how aggressive she is. My daughter for instance likes her TTR-125 LE, but I don't think she's ever been past 1/2 throttle on it. I'm thinking about a KX85 for her for the lighter weight and superior suspension, but have real questions as to whether or not she can control the power hit. It's likely to scare her and once scared she's not the time to grit her teeth and say "I'm gonna whip this thing!"

MuddyBuddy

Nov 1, 2006
NM_KDX200 said:
I think a KX100 would be excellent, but it depends on how aggressive she is.

Yep. I have one and it's a blast, but it's twitchy and can be light in the front end. I don't have a flywheel weight on it and I've heard a lot of people put them on this bike. So depending on how passive or aggresive she is, she will either love it or be intimidated by it. Coming off the TTR to the KX she will need to readjust her riding some; can't grab a big handful of throttle on the KX like you can the TTR.

It's also might be a little cramped for her. I'm 5'4", 125 lbs., and I've done several mods to open up the riding compartment (Tag T2 Top & Bottom Triple Clamps with Stem and Moose high bend bars, Fastway F3 footpegs, Guts tall racing seat). The fit is great now.

aaldape

Mar 18, 2007
Good information. Yea I think there definitely needs to be that aggressive spark to control a 2t in the power...

Good advice on opening up the ergos too!

Top Bottom