DR4Ztrokes

Aug 16, 2001
My sons are currently riding XR100s that they are outgrowing from both size and riding ability. They are interested in running hare scrambles next year and otherwise we do a lot of trail and logging road riding. One can ride in the mini class for 3 years and the other for 4 years. 100cc is maximum size for this age group and from the events we have attended so far the KX100 is indeed the weapon of choice. I took the boys down to the dealer last weekend but place was busy and I did not get to talk with anyone there. They had a KX85 and KX100 side by side. Despite the specs claiming the KX100 is only 1" or so higher than KX85, there was noticeable difference in height and firmness of the 100. The kids could get a very good footplant on the 85 but the 100 in that form would be a stretch right now. I don't want to buy anything they will outgrow quickly, but too big is absolutely no good either. I'm on the fence between the two at this point, but I'm getting the sense the KX100 is or can be made more trail worthy than the 85 which is purely oriented to MX. Any thoughts on this?

Also, can sag on KX100 be set or otherwise suspension softened up to lower it by an inch or so? Are different seat foam or suspension links possible options out there that I can consider for a few months? Appreciate your input.

motometal

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 3, 2001
KX100-great bike! I had a '99

You can lower the rear suspension by backing off the spring preload and/or running a softer spring. Also, the forks can be raised up in the tubes. The balance between these two affects handling/steering, so it may take a bit of adjusting to get it just right.

The 100 engine has way more low end, and is a much better overall or trail bike. Also, the larger wheels make it more stable than an 80 with smaller wheels. This is even a fun bike for a lighter weight adult (such as myself) to ride...the grin never left my face! I did some modifications to mine, but won't go into detail here...I assume you are looking at a 2002 model, so what I did to the '99 wouldn't necessarilly work on it.

HiG4s

~SPONSOR~
Mar 7, 2001
My son is also on a XR100 he has outgrown, He is up to 5'2" and he wants to try racing. While he couldn't race on it, he rides my 125 at times, so I would think as long as he can get a foot down well enough to hold it up and kick it over he will be fine. I'm planning on getting my son a YZ85. It is a little taller than the KX85 and has more room from the seat and pegs to the handle bars than either the KX85 or 100. If he races it will be in the 80 class at first. If he wants to move up to 100 I will get an over bore kit for it. Actually I expect the way he is growing he will move from the 80 to 125 whether he races or not.

DR4Ztrokes

Aug 16, 2001
I looked at the new YZ85 also, it was actually the one they were most interested in and I made it my first stop. Indeed a nice bike. But from everything I hear the bike is all top end which I translate to something that will take a lot more effort for a more novice rider to ride it in range where it belongs. For HS and trails I'm thinking the YZ is probably further away from their riding style and what they need than the Kaw's are. I really wish there was better opportunity to ride these machines before buying. Actually if there were some current/competitive 4 stroke minis out there I would prefer putting them on that. I keep hearing some are on the way.

kawi 151

Jul 21, 2001
I also have a 98 kx 100 and I love it I am selling it now becuase i have fully out grown it at 5'6" and I am now ready for a 125.. I raced my 100 on jr enduros and motorcross it served me well and did great things for me the bike is very quick when you want it to be by simply adding a pipe and silencer and reeds always help alot too for your low end I belive that the kx 100 will please you and your kids and you may even see them wining on them but I will tell you that the 100 is the right move to make becuase if they think its too big then you can read the owners manual and that will bring you step by step on how to soften and set the race sag for any size kid. good luck with your choice and I hope that I could have helped you out...

motometal

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 3, 2001
Remember HiG4s, the handlebars only cost $15(for steel ones) to change, I put "hi 80" bars on mine so I wouldn't hit my knees. I wouldn't worry too much about the bars...if I can make it work (I'm 5'11") than he shouldn't have a problem (on the KX100).

HiG4s

~SPONSOR~
Mar 7, 2001
DRZ
The reviews I have read on the 85 have said it has all the top end of the 2001 80 but with a more low end making it easier to ride. Prior to the reviews I was thinking the same thing and was planning on an RM85 (the other brand with a power valve) and it is still second on my list.

motometal
It is not just the handle bars, the KX80/85/100 has rear offset bar mounts on the upper triple clamp. Just not worth the time and money to correct when the other three manufacture's bikes are already set up with roomier ergonomics.

RYDMOTO

~SPONSOR~
Feb 16, 2001
hello! I have been thinking about getting my daughter a newer bike also.She will be 16 in march and has outgrown her xr100.I want a bike with low end that she can ride and have fun on and also grow into.I looked at the kx100,thinking it would have more low end than the others,except maybe the rm85.Those bikes seemed a little cramped to grow into.My dealer has a 2001 kx100 on the floor right now.Any ideas what a good price for one would be?

Mudboy

Dec 3, 1999
I had a 2000 kx100. They do have some low end but a major hit on top when jetted right. It was a fun bike. Maybe you can get lucky like I did and find one that hasn't been ridden. I bought it for $2800 in almost new condition and sold it a year later for $2700 (still in great shape). The suspension is very adjustable.

RYDMOTO

~SPONSOR~
Feb 16, 2001
WELL......I did buy my daughter a 2000 kx 100. Out the door it was 3400. The negotiated price was 2940. I have ridden the bike and i am impressed! Then i let my daughter ride it too....lol The bike does have low end and looks like she will be able to work into the bike just fine.I am not worried at all about her being on it. This is an under rated bike for sure.

HiG4s

~SPONSOR~
Mar 7, 2001
Just as a further note, I bought my son the YZ85 and he loves it. It doesn't have a lot of low end but it isn't totally without either and he is adjusting to it fine.

Top Bottom