chris walsh

Apr 29, 2008
heyy guys, heres my first post!

i have been racing downhill mountain bikes for a couple of years now, and i want to try something new. for me to afford a dirt bike, i will need to sell my moutain bike, which causes this to be a huge decision for me.

im sixteen, 5'7 & 150 pounds.

i've basically narrowed it down to these two bikes, the 08 kawasaki kx100 or the 08 honda crf 230F. i know, two very different bikes. the payments would be the same within a couple of dollars, so price isnt a factor in deciding.

chances are i wont get an oppurtunity to ride this bike on a track, because i live no where near one. i will be riding for long periods of time, through trails, fire roads, jumping.

i am leaning towards the kx, because of it being 100 pounds lighter, having a rear hyraulic disc brake instead of a drum, having an inverted fork, and a wheel size which i think would suit me better. both bikes are very similar in size. on top of this, the kx looks much more appealing.

i could take the crf because of a four stroke being more dependable and capable of long rides without overheating.

i will be riding hard, from trying dirtbikes before and racing mountain bikes i know i will catch on easily, but this will be my first time owning one. the quickness, lightness, and agility of the two stroke interests me much more.

what do you guys think? i really want the kx, but is it capable of long rides without overheating and suitable to this non track riding style?

im sick of people telling me getting a 2 stroke is a mistake without giving me actual reasons not to.

thanks guys! i'm open to any opinions.

jim f.

Mi. Trail Riders
Jul 2, 2005
I own a KX 100, fun bke to ride but I am to big for it stock. I moved handlebars 3in forward and 3in up, also put H.D. springs on it for my weight 185 no gear. It is trail rideable.

chris walsh

Apr 29, 2008
i am going to the shop today to see this bike for the first time, i was waiting for it to be built.

so you would say it is trail ridable? thats what i needed to hear. i guess thats really my only question. will this two stroke be able to handle long days of riding?

thanks, any more help is appreciated as well.

CarnageZ28

Mar 25, 2008
If you ride a 2-Stroke hard, you should replace the piston and rings once a year ~ 40-60 hours of riding.

If you ride a 4 stroke hard, you should replace the piston and rings ever other year or about 80 hours for the average rider. However some people go for years and years without ever tearing into them ... When they do blow up though, they are typically WAY (Like 3-5X) more expensive to rebuild than a comparable two stroke.

Two strokes can be rode on trails, but they are more rev-happy if that makes sense. You have to wring them out and vary the RPM's on them. Not a putter like a 4-Stroke can be. Not boring like a 4-Stroke though either heheh.

SpeedyManiac

Aug 8, 2000
chris walsh said:
i've basically narrowed it down to these two bikes, the 08 kawasaki kx100 or the 08 honda crf 230F. i know, two very different bikes. the payments would be the same within a couple of dollars, so price isnt a factor in deciding.

Please tell me you're not thinking of financing a bike. If you are, stop and give your head a shake. Financing toys is not a smart idea. Buy it outright, no matter what. Especially since at 16 you're still growing and will be ready for a bigger bike in 1-2 years.

Also, since this will be your first bike, buy a used one. Face it, you WILL crash and probably damage the bike. It's easier on your pride and wallet if the bike already has a few scratches.

The two bikes you're comparing are like apples and oranges. The KX100 is a race bike that can be ridden on trails, usually with some aggression. The CRF230F is a beginner trail bike that really can't be pushed. It's heavy, has soft suspension and is really, really down on power.

Reliability wise, the CRF230F is better. Clean the air filter and change the oil and you'll be set. Maybe adjust the valves once a year which is really easy to do on that motor. The KX will require more frequent maintenance depending how you ride. Since you're learning, you probably won't be riding it wide open and abusing the clutch too much so I bet you can easily get two years out of the top end.

Here's my recommendation:

Find a good used KX100 (maybe from around 2002/2003) and learn to ride on it. Since you're 16, chances are you'll out grow it in a year or two and be ready for a bigger bike. If it feels too zippy, add a flywheel weight to calm down the motor.

chris walsh

Apr 29, 2008
as for financing, my mountain bike should cover almost half the cost, i have a grand saved, and the rest i should be able to pay off over the summer, so that shouldnt be too bad i think.

i think i am set on the kx. its seems i shouldnt have any problem riding it the way i want, and it seems so much better for me than the honda. the fact that it almost sounds the same as my dads canadian trail isnt appealing, haha & i dont like how its 100 pounds heavier than the kx, etc.

i know i'll have a little more to maintain and so i plan to replace the piston and rings at the end of the year, (i'm not clueless with a wrench, and im very interested on learning how to work on dirt bikes) if i mix the oil properly and ride it right i dont think it will be too much of a problem.

as for how i ride it, i know its my first bike, but i don't plan on taking it easy. i want a dirtbike to replace the excitement of downhill racing. it's something im looking for to replace the adrenaline rush. i want something a little scary. aha

i have found a used kx 100, but for saving very little money, and getting an extra set of plastics, its not really worth it.

thanks a lot guys!

Apr 30, 2007
Don't get a KX 100. You are too big for it.

If you grow at all, you'll be regretting your purchase.

Go for a 125 if possible. You can find one from 96' through 00' for about a grand. Larger gas tanks are availible for them, so you won't be back in the garage every other hour mixing gas...

As an example, I'm 5'2" and 110 (not to mention, a girl?) I ride a bike the same size as the one you're about to get. I have run out of room on it.

You, being bigger than me, and probably a more agressive rider, well...do you get the picture?

chris walsh

Apr 29, 2008
hmm, yeah, this was the only thing i had left to think about. the seat height is 34.2 inches, which is .1 of an inch higher than the 230, so theyre the same basically. when i'm sitting on it, theres about two inches under both of my heels. where i'm living its pretty hard to find decent used bikes, ha, its not a real popular sport.

price wise, this is the biggest bike i have money for. ohmyy. thanks for the help!

chris walsh

Apr 29, 2008
im planning to ride whichever bike i buy for two summers, and then sell it for a 250 maybe.

theres a guy who wants to sell his 07 kx, and he is the same height, weight as me. he said it fits him fine, but, well, hes also trying to sell it, so he would say that anyways, haha.

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
I agree, the KX100 is too small for you.

A 125 would be way more suitable for your size. You may feel like it's too big for you at first, but you'll be surprised how quickly you adapt.

First time I sat on a 450, I thought it was way too big for me, but now, it's perfect.

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
For the price of that new kx100 you should be able to pick up a super nice, late model 125.

CarnageZ28

Mar 25, 2008
Yea, you seriously should consider a 125. Your WAY too big for that bike. Youll regret it in a hurry...

And let me show you the sweetest place for cheap bikes, hookers, and cars:

www.craigslist.com

Check out the motorcycles section, avoid erotic services by teh way lol ... And uhmm, seriously though, TONS of bikes on there in the Pittsburgh area at least. You can get 2000-ish 125 for $1000 if you search around enough.

CarnageZ28

Mar 25, 2008
Someone your size, you should be looking at 125 2-Strokes, and 250 4-strokes. If you know you are going to be jumping it, get a motocross bike. If you think your going to ride trails fast, and keep it on the ground, it might be worth considering an XR or something along those lines ...

chris walsh

Apr 29, 2008
yeah, i guess i know i should be looking into 125s or even 4stroke 250s,ha. its just finding decent used bikes seems difficult to come by around here. i'll see what i can come up with.

thanks for the help,but i live far from pittsburg, haha i'm living in central newfoundland.

thanks guys

LEllis7motox

Jan 28, 2008
Yeah a kx100 will be too small for you quick... I am 5"2 and 130lbs (im fat) and i am currently riding a DRZ125L but i am getting a 250f in a week or two and i am alot smaller than you... Go with a 125 2-stroke or a 250 four-stroke :nod:

chris walsh

Apr 29, 2008
well, as for seat height, the kx and the crf are the same height. a trail bike isnt really what i'm looking for, i want a bike that is capable of riding trails, but what i need is something that can handle jumping. i know the kx is much more suitable for what i'm looking for, i'm just not certain of the size thing.

i'm not very big, and this bike seems pretty quick, i dont expect to grow much at all. if i really needed to next summer, I could get a riser and a new bar couldnt I? I really want something i can throw around and not having a big bike might be a good thing for jumping. as for downhill racing, i'll be riding a size small frame my whole life, i kinda like a smaller bike.

i dont know, i'm hoping to get to the shop again this week to see how welll it fits me.
keep youre opinions coming! thanks.

Apr 30, 2007
How much more will you be growing?

Risers aren't going to help you out in the long run. If you get any bigger, the small frame will leave you too cramped to move freely on the bike, and you'll end up hurting yourself pretty badly.

Go with the 125. You won't regret it.

chris walsh

Apr 29, 2008
well, i'm pretty sure i won't grow at all really.

i know a 125 is probably better for me, its just i cant find anything. i can't afford a new 125, and i havent been able to find a decent used 125.

chris walsh

Apr 29, 2008
umm, well the weather is mint here now so as soon as possible. i'm pretty much willing to travel anywhere in newfoundland. no matter where i go in this province it can't be much longer than a four hour drive.

VISaki

May 25, 2008
Man I'm 5'7'' same height as this kid and the Kx 100 fits me fine I jump that thing and I fly on that thing top speed is about 65 on flat rode enough for me on dirt plus I sat on a125 and a my boys cr125 and that thing is high..high to the point that if your about to eat it your gona eat it don't try to safe it...my 100 goes every where my friends go thats from a 125 cr to a 250 KX and Yz and banshee 350...you gotta think 28 H.P. is pretty good for that lil bike plus power to weight ratio. I mean do what you want but I plan on big boring my 100 to 115 with 54.5 pistons and stroking it and also buy a 125..never gona sell the 100 its my first 2 stroke...o yeah I hit 5 foot doubles on that thing and can easily over clear it if I'm not careful so theres plenty of power..its really peppy and a 125 might be to much in scary situations...learn for 2 summers on the 100 you'll probably end up keeping it after that..its small powerful and gets thru bush that bigger bikes have a hard time getting thru...and you don't get wacked by low ceiling brush either LOL.

CarnageZ28

Mar 25, 2008
VISaki ~ I see where your coming from, but...

I am 5'7", 155lbs. Not a large dude by any means. And I have no problem handling-wise on my YZ250. My only complications come with starting it because I am not quite tall enough. If I tree it, or am on high ground, I can kick it fine, no prob at all. And the only thing preventing me from buying a 500 is the thought that I can't kick start it hahah... Sucks being short

But that said, I do agree the KX100 2-Stroke would be funner than a CRF230. I still think he should get a 125 though if he feels comfortable on it, especially starting it. If your not comfortable/consistant being able to start it, its too big. This is one reason also that 2-Strokes take the win. They are WAY easier to start than a 4-Stroke.

VISaki

May 25, 2008
I agree with you..get a 125 if you can..you won't regret the kx100 though..usually what I do is roll it in nuetral jump on and start kicking away at the kick start...or just jump start it till she's warm then starting is easy...yeah I tried starting my bwoys yz250..after about5 or 6 times you starting sweating and start banging shins and back of hamstrings with the kick start...I've layed a bike down from that...can we say PAIN!!!! I might get a kx 125 had one but know only have the motor and wish i could install it in the kx100 as a hybrid...

CarnageZ28

Mar 25, 2008
Yea, but inless he is riding in TIGHT woods, or DEEP DEEP mud, the two-stroke WILL be funner if he is a somewhat aggressive person. Im not saying he has to be the next evil kenneval, just, aggressive to the point where you will be punching it. I rode one of the CRF230's.

They do have enough power to get all but the largest of guys just about anywhere they want to go. But they DO suck for jumping.

Bottom line is he needs to ride both a 2-stroke and a 4-stroke to see which he likes the feel of better. I am kind of a power junkie, so I immediately went for the 2-stroke and a hard hitting power band... Its how I like my motors to be. I want power immediately, hard, and strong.

Too bad this guy doesnt live by me. Id let him rip the 250 and my uncles XR200 up and down through the field and see what he likes/thinks he would have more fun with...

Top Bottom