mxpaint04

Dec 1, 2004
Hi, iam loking for a new bike im 5'5" and 125lbs i would say im an intermedite skilled rider i ride mostly woods but i do go on the track from time to time.
Right now im riding an rm80 and its just to small but still really fun to ride. I wanted to go for a 250f but my dad ays im too small. So i was thinking about a kx100 from what ive read they are great bikes for riders under 5'6". But, i dont know if the bike will fit me long as im growin about an inch every 3 months. I also thought about a 125 2stroke but my dad says that if i were to get a full size bike it would have to be a thumper.
So, my question boils down to, should i get a kx100 and keep it until i truley fit a 250f or should i just keep the 80 until i fit a 250f? Or does anyone else have any better ideas? :bang:

snb73

Nov 30, 2003
Well since your Dad is the dad, you're gonna have to do what he sayes. My son is 13, 5'2", 145 lbs. I bought him a 2003 KX125 for christmas. He has no problem starting/riding it. He came off of a 2003 KX100 that he could flat-foot.

See if you can get Dad to take you to the local shop and sit on a few bikes. Let him know that the suspension will sag some as you use it. This isn't the best way to do it but, you can lower the bike 1-2 inches by raising the forks in the trees and increasing sag.

But the bottom line is, Dad will have the final say. Good luck.

Steve.

mxpaint04

Dec 1, 2004
yea i think ill have to get him to take me to a shop to sit on some bikes because last time we went was 6 months ago and i was about 5'2" then thx for the relpy

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
At 5'5" you're big enough for a 125/250F. I would try to sell Dad on the fact if you get a 100 you'll need a new bike again within a few months where the 125/250F will be good for seasons to come if you take care of the bike. Research the 250F's before you go so that you don't select the tallest one out there to try out in front of dad!

Amber Farris

Mar 14, 2003
Ya, I agree with everybody else. I had a KX100 and they are such fun bikes. It will have some more low end than your 80, but at the rate you young guys grow, it just wouldn't be worth it. At 5'5" you are close to fitting well on a 250F or 125. If you dad wants you to be a little taller for it I would wait for the bigger bike. If you can climb on that 80, wait until you get the 250F...you will be zooming up everything effortlessly.

dirtpoor

Feb 19, 2005
check to see if you can lower a 250f or 125 with different dog bone links on the rear and how much you can slide the forks up without the front wheel hitting the fender. You should be able to lower it at least an inch maybe more. Every inch makes a difference when you're at 5'-5". Right now your not too big for a kx100 but will be soon. The kx100 uses the same frame as the kx80 just larger wheels and slighter longer swingarm. I made a huge mistake and got my nephew one. He is 5'-8'' and 170 lbs. same size as me and I'm way to cramped on it. The stock spring isn't quite heavy enough for that weight. Got a kdx200 to replace it. I believe the kdx's are 2 inches less in seat height than most mx'ers. The kx100 should be alright for you for another year. It at least has the exhaust power valve unlike the 80's and at only 150 lbs it's very easy to handle for someone your size. If you could find a good used one for a year, that maybe your ticket. You're in that awkward transition period and that's what the kx100 was designed for. I only wish that they made a slighter larger (longer) frame for it. Decisions, decisions!!!! :bang: ;)

mxpaint04

Dec 1, 2004
wow guys thx for all of the great advice, and ive decided tht im gonna get a kx100 and keep it for about a year or so. What really allowed me to come to this decision is tht i found a nice deal on a 2001 kx100 on cycletrader and my friend and ridding buddy who is about the same size and skill as myself is having a really hard time with his cr125 on more technical back woods stuff. He really isnt having tht much fun crashing every 5 min. lol and the whole point of dirtbike riding is to have FUN...right???

dirtpoor

Feb 19, 2005
I agree 100% with you. Why get something you are not ready for either physically or skill wise. Yeah it may cost a little more to buy and trade bikes as you grow but getting hurt :( because the bike is simply too big for you is even more costly in my opinion. Not to mention the loss of the fun factor. And that's what it's all about. :cool: There's no law saying you gotta keep the 100 forever! ;)

mxpaint04

Dec 1, 2004
Yup, ure right now to get my new kx100 thx and happy riding everyone. :aj: maybe ill post some pics when i get my new ride :ride: (if anyone is interested)

Top Bottom