CJ Rider

~SPONSOR~
Apr 3, 2000
OK dilema time. I think it's time to find the little TTR a new home. It's been my comforting safety blanket for a couple of years now. However, now I don't want to just ride, I want to keep up. There is a height issue, but if it's under 200 lbs and really flickable, then I'll deal with it. What I'd really like to know from ya'll is what benefit, if any, does the regular tire size and extra displacement give you for these types of two-stroke bikes? I'd really like some opinions on this one. It's a dilema.

firecracker22

Sponsoring Member
Oct 23, 2000
The biggest difference I noticed when we were all in Reno was the tire size. The TTRs felt really twitchy--not super-responsive twitchy, just every-bump-knocks-you-sideways twitchy. I like the full size machine. Needless to say I am prejudiced towards the KTM. They are light (I took off the stock silencer, kickstand, and lights--probably weighs now what a 125 Jap bike does) and they handle nicely, IMO. They also have a 36.4" seat. That (rock hard) seat can be cut down and they can be lowered. The KX100s are popular too--the gal who won the women's class at my last hare scramble rides one and is really fast on it. In fact, of the 12 women there that day, close to half of them were on KXs. IMS makes a big tank and there are engine mods available. The KDX is a good solid smooth bike but heavy.

Just my thoughts! Hope it helps. If you don't get a chance before then, you're welcome to my KTM in Reno or before if we manage to ride together before February.

LoriKTM

Super Power AssClown
Oct 4, 1999
New Mexico
Typically, I would not recommend that a rider go from a TTR125 to a KTM. Too much height/horsepower difference.

However, since CJ has been stretching her legs on a DR200, it's more of an option for her. I don't know that the KX100 would give you that much "extra" for wheel / ground clearance beyond your TTR, and especially not over the DR that you are riding. The full size wheels give you better clearance over trail garbage such as roots, rocks and logs, plus you can drag along in deeper ruts than you can with a smaller (KX100, TTR) bike.

CJ, do you have any 2-stroke experience? The KDX would be the most similar to the DR you are riding now (if that would make you feel more comfortable). Full height, full suspension, but good tractable, linear motor. And oh-so-easy to start 2-stroke (especially after a fall!) Also, the KDX is probably quite a bit lighter than the DR. The KTM is lighter again than the KDX (by about 10-15 pounds, stock), and has stiffer suspension and another 7HP or so more than the KDX. KTM also has a good powerband, and the addition of a flywheel weight keeps wheelspin down to a minimum. Nether the KDX or The KTM will get you under 200 pounds, though. The KX100 is easily <200, and can be made more trail-friendly with some modifications (flywheel, pipe, etc.) Are enduros in your future? If so, keep in mind the KX100 does not have a lighting coil (you can probably buy one for it, though).

Evaluate what terrain you ride the most, what you want out of your next bike, and go from there. Seat height can be shortened by modifying the suspension, taking out seat foam, etc. Realistically, you'll get it closer to the ground to touch one foot, but don't expect it to be like your TTR.

My recommendation would be KDX, KX/KTM.

Last edited:

Yamaholley

Jul 12, 2001
I would agree with that as well, having ridden all 3 bikes
The KX100 is a little rocket, plenty of power, but for me, once I rode a full size, I just felt kinda funny standing up on it. I could, however, touch the ground with both feet and no mods, so that was a plus. My KTM has been lowered 2 inches, and we've ordered new seat foam that will give me another inch, and I'll be able to touch on the balls of my feet then.
The KDX I rode was SO heavy, and I didn't really like it much. The power delivery was nice, but the KTM is, IMO, a much better bike, lighter, better power, etc.

CJ Rider

~SPONSOR~
Apr 3, 2000
OK, let's talk about this then. I can financially keep two bikes if one is used and one new. I was thinking about keeping the DR200 for enduro/trail-to-town rides and selling the little TTR. The DR's a good bike especially at these altitudes; the weight just seems to hold me back when trying keeping up with the guys on crazy rides.

No experience on two-strokes here. The light weight, horsepower, suspension, and stories of easy-kick starting are just plain appealing. Am I just wackie in thinking that a two-stroke might be the ticket for a small person to keep up on crazy rides?

In reading your response, Lori, the KDX would be similar to the DR in some respects. That's good to know because I should prolly go for something different if the DR is staying.

From what ya'll are saying, it also seems that the ease over obstacles I've been feeling with the bigger tires of the DR isn't just my imagination. Ya'll feel that too.

BikeDestroyer- You have both a two- and a four-stroke. Do you ride both? One more than the other? Under what conditions would you choose to ride one over the other?

Even thinking about selling my security blanket is giving me a few knots in my stomache as I type this. I hear ya'll, though. You really seem to like your KTMs. I'm listenting. Still, the knots.

Last edited:

kx100

Moron
May 7, 2001
I've been riding my '01 KX100 for about 6 months now, and I love it. I can keep up with most of the "big boys" on trails, on track it's a little different, but it will keep up if you ride it correctly. the KX100 is very fast for the little bike that it is and I haven't had any problems with it and there isn't anything I couldn't tackle because of the bike, yet.

*cha..ching* - two cents.

LoriKTM

Super Power AssClown
Oct 4, 1999
New Mexico
CJ, a word of caution. Not having any 2-stroke experience, the KTM is probably going to be fairly intimidating, power-wise. 2-strokes also require a different riding style for attacking obstacles and hills. Not saying that you can't handle it-- just a caution. Maybe try to bum a ride on a KX100-- get comfortable with the 2-s power delivery and still have both feet planted firmly. As I tell everyone else, your next bike doesn't have to be the last one you'll ever buy!

CJ Rider

~SPONSOR~
Apr 3, 2000
... your next bike doesn't have to be the last one you'll ever buy!

Too funny. The guy at the local bike shop just quoted me those EXACT same words!

Thanks for the offer, KX100! Ya'll are right. It may be time for some test rides if at all possible.

bbbom

~SPONSOR~
Aug 13, 1999
That is probably THE best thing you can do! Try out as many bikes as you can ON the terrain that you like to ride.

If I had listened to all the experts I would not have even looked at the 500. I tried out as many bikes as I could, all on the normal terrain we ride. I liked the 500 the first time I rode it BUT I didn't decide to get one until I rode Karl's over some trails that had given me problems on the KLX. The clincher was a mild hill that had downed logs strewn about it. I had fought my KLX through it once before and was beat. The CR just climbed over the logs and that was it, I knew what I wanted.

As for the difference in fullsize vs smaller bikes, it is night and day. My son rides much smoother on the trails on his CR80E than he did on his KX60 and he did well on the 60.

Good luck CJ!

firecracker22

Sponsoring Member
Oct 23, 2000
They're right--the KTM is a lot to get used to. I am actually struggling more now as I get more confident and try to go faster and ride it like it should be than when I was new and tentative. But I know that it will be awesome as soon as I adjust. It will take a little while.

Yamaholley

Jul 12, 2001
well, I forgot about you going from a 4 stroke to a 2 stroke...I'm not sure how the transition would be...
I started on 2 strokes, and I've only ridden a couple times on a 4 stroke.
From what I can tell, the power delivery on the KTM is very smooth, and is more reminescent of a 4 stroke, as is the KDX. The KX100, is very much a revvy little 2 stroke, it hits hard, like the 125.
If you do mostly trail riding, you will like the KX100 for the lightness, and manueverability, but you really have to be in the pipe for hill climbing. I have a friend that competes with my old 98 KX100, and she has been having a few problems, hers is starting to overheat.
It was fun on the track though!
It would be really cool if you could ride some of these bikes first...but if not, and you get one that doesn't work for you...you're not stuck with it forever!
In the last 6 months, I've been through 4 bikes! It's getting awfully expensive finding the right bike for me :)

BikeDstroyer

Jun 30, 2001
CJRider,

Since this will be your first 2-stroke & you sound like you may be a bit vertically challanged, I have to change what I said before. I would have to go with the KX100 because of your height. You can put a flywheel weight on it and detune it some. Once you learn to ride a 2-stroke you can ride a 4-stroke even better.

Here are the differences for me between the 2 & 4. The 2-stroke bounces me around on the trail junk more than the heavier 4-stroke. The 2-stroke isn't as heavy though to flick around the switchbacks and other tough obsticals. 2stroke is easier to start. The 2-stroke is a blast to ride once you get the hang of using the clutch. There are so many pros & cons I can't even begin to name them all. In my opinion learning to ride the 2-stroke will make you a better rider. Fair warning though....you may fall back a few steps before you start taking those forward steps.

I like both bikes...right now I am really digging my 4-stroke!

CJ Rider

~SPONSOR~
Apr 3, 2000
Four bikes in six months? LOL! I thought I was bad, but it turns out I'm not even keeping up with the Yamaholley! I've gone through six bikes (dirt and street) in five years. I still think you win!

Thanks for all the input folks. The KX100 with a few mods sounds like a good first 2-stroke after taking it all into consideration, but I'll find one to just ride and try out before anything. Heck, it's all good! Thanks!

Top Bottom