Status
Not open for further replies.

frankfilm

~SPONSOR~
Jun 9, 2003
I want a bike that will be good to learn on. It should be light and handle well. Easy to handle power delivery would be nice. It doesn’t need to be the most powerful one out there.

I want to try the following styles.
Trails: I live in Southern California. The areas close to me are Angeles National Forest (Rowher Flats) and Gorman (desert).

Super Moto: I would ride go-cart tracks and easy dirt tracks.

MX track: I’ve never ridden on a MX track, so I’d like to try it out. I don’t intend to compete in MX.

My statistics are:
5’ 8”
165 lbs
30” inseam
Age 40
Good physical condition.
I currently ride a 96 Honda VFR750F street bike.

I’ve been to Moto Ventures for trail riding and training three times. Each time was a great learning experience and loads of fun. I rode a KLX 300 and a KDX 220. I liked them both. I spoke with the instructor. He said it’s best to get something that’s easy to handle and throw around.

These are the bikes on my list.
Kawasaki KX100 (proposed mods add 12oz flywheel weights and springs for my weight)
Honda CRF150 (proposed mods add HRC power up kit and springs for my weight)

Have any of you ridden a KX100?

What to you guys think?

What would you guys recommend?

Thanks for reading this long post.
Frank

woodsy

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 16, 2002
I would check out the YZF250. Got TONS of trail potential and will out perform/out class that CRF by MILES!!! Of course you could wait around and see how the Honda CRF250 does but the Yam has proven itself to be a real winner!!
Just a thought..
Woodsy

frankfilm

~SPONSOR~
Jun 9, 2003
Hi Woodsy,

I agree with you. I sat on a YZF250 earlier today. It is awesome, but I want to practice on something smaller for a while. I want to build my skills and confidence up more before going 250 four-stroke.

Thanks,
Frank

Daisycutter

Apr 28, 2003
IMO the bikes you mentioned are TOO small. The CRF-150/KX-100 type bikes are ridden by 13yo's and soccer moms. You will get laughed at. If you can handle your street bike then you can handle a 250.

drk98

Mar 30, 2002
I would get a KX100 but it will need some springs. Its awesome in the trails. Hey, I'm 13 and 5'6" and I looked at one and my mom(is 5'11") actually liked the bike because she could throw it around and control it easier. She doesn't play soccer.:) But I had to get a KDX like father like son. I would drop the CRF because it isn't only too small it doesn't have enough power to pull you around. Plus I wouldn't put a power up kit on it because it isn't worth it. The supension is dated and its detunded for play bike power. You would have to spend a lot of money to get this thing to ride like a real CRF MXer.

I would suggest a KDX or a EXC200. If you want something smaller a KX100 would work w/ some mods.

woodsy

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 16, 2002
Hey Frank:
You sound to me like you are destined to get a "starter" bike so here is another thought.. There are a group of guys (GROWN MEN) that ride XR100's here in my area and they have a ball on them. I also know for a fact that a LOT of the flat trac schools use the Xr100 as a "trainer" because of it's frame geo's.. Maybe what your looking for is the XR100... Nice thing about them is they are VERY easily had in decent "used" format and cheap (I just bought an 89 for $200). Play on an XR100 for a while, outgrow it (should take about a month), resell and get your money back and go get the 250.... Of course if money is NO object then by all means go get the new CRF150 or KX100, maybe you will wind up like most of us (addicts) and have one of every size :) . If $$ is an issue - Be warned - when you outgrow it (and you will) the depreciation is staggering..
Another question to ask is, what do your friends ride?
Woodsy

Dogman5

Jun 20, 2003
Originally posted by Daisycutter
IMO the bikes you mentioned are TOO small. The CRF-150/KX-100 type bikes are ridden by 13yo's and soccer moms. You will get laughed at. If you can handle your street bike then you can handle a 250.

first off, thats a completely false statement. I know kids that are 15-17 down at the tracks that can rip on KX 100s, and can outperform many 125 riders on the 100s.

and also, I think that you should just go right ahead and get the 250 4-stroke. they really wouldnt be that hard to learn on, and it doesent make much sense to get something smaller just to learn on, because if you were to get a 2-stroke 100cc, it woulndt ride at all like a 250cc 4stroke.

but if you insist, a KX 100 would whoop a CRF150.

frankfilm

~SPONSOR~
Jun 9, 2003
Hi Woodsy,

Regarding: What do my friends ride? They ride street bikes. I'll have to find new people to ride with. The point about the KX100 having a completely different feel than a 250 four stroke is good.

My reasoning was that a KX100 was easy to throw around. I would definately buy it used.

I've ridden a KLX300 a few times. It was fine.

What do you think of a used YZF or WR.

Thanks,
Frank

frankfilm

~SPONSOR~
Jun 9, 2003
Hi,

Regarding: What do my friends ride? They ride street bikes. I'll have to find new people to ride with. The point about the KX100 having a completely different feel than a 250 four stroke is good.

My reasoning was that a KX100 was easy to throw around. I would definately buy it used.

I've ridden a KLX300 a few times. It was fine.

What do you think of a used YZF or WR.

Thanks,
Frank

frankfilm

~SPONSOR~
Jun 9, 2003
Whoops,

Sorry about the double posts.

That was a good point Dogman.

Money is an issue.

Thanks,
Frank

Dogman5

Jun 20, 2003
Sorry if MY opinion is false. BTW I think yours is dumb.

You didn't state an opinion. You said that KX 100 are for 13 year olds and soccer moms, and I said that is a completely false statement because I know older kida 15-17 that can do extremely well on them and keep up and beat 125 riders on the track. And if you think my opinion is dumb, thats funny - because the only one I gave was about me thinking he could handle the 250 4-stroke just fine. Funny how you said the same thing. And don't even bother to respond if you are going to say something like "i think yours is dumb"

Anyway, if I were in your position, I would go and look for a used 250 4-stroke, a YZF in your case. If you can ride a streetbike, IMO you will have absolutely no problem getting on one of those and picking it up rather quickly. However, this is a motocross competition bike you are buying, realize that. If you are riding in trail/woods and desert, you might be better off with something like a Kawasaki KDX which you said you had ridden before. I ride a KDX 200, and I love it because it so suitable for almost any riding you want to do with it, and with a couple of suspension mods can be pretty killer on an MX track, which I plan to buy and work on this christmas.

Give it a lot of thought before you buy such a big ticket item though. Seriously, I know in my case for instance, I wouldn't want to be stuck with a 2-stroke Motocross bike in the tight and technical trails I ride in daily.

KelvinKDX

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 25, 2000
My $.02:

The kx100 is a fun bike and not just for kids or soccer moms.  My wife has one and she is neither a mom nor has anything to do with soccer.  I have a ball riding the kx100.  Had Eric Gorr port it for more low end power and have a flywheel weight to add to it.  The bike is light and fast.  :thumb:   A lot of fun can be had on one.  Is it the right bike for all time riding - not for me -   but it is for Wendy at 5'4" 115 llbs.

I would not buy one new - but that's just me.

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
frankfilm you and I are the exact same height and I agree that the KX100 is too small for you. I can't comment on the CRF150 since I've never even seen one. Since your main focus is away from the MX track other than some slight curiousity I would recommend something along the lines of a KDX 200/220, The KLX 300 or an XR250 for a starter bike.
The KX100 while I think it is a great bike would require a fair bit of setup and aftermarket parts (bars and bar risers etc) to make it comfortable for someone your size to ride in a standing position.

Racer#213

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Nov 14, 2002
I own a kx100 and i'm 15. what do you have to say about that daisy cutter. therefore, since i am not 13, YOUR OPINION(STATEMET) IS FALSE.

you are too big for a kx100. i'm 5'5", 5'6-7" w/boots. and i'm prolly moving up to a 125 or 250f next spring. I'd definantely say a used yz250f should be able to get them around 3000 for a good condition one. or the kdx200's are sweet bikes too. i ride my dads and it's sweet. so i'd go for one of them too.

Racer#213

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Nov 14, 2002
oh yea, and your stats are close to my dad, except he's older. and he started out on a kdx200 and is doing fine. had to get use to the hieght of it a little. but now he rides it good and i think he came along good in his first year of riding. so go kdx200

woodsy

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 16, 2002
Hi Frank:
Sorry to hear that your riding buds are all street riders - perhaps you can "lure" a couple of them over to the dark side for some woods rippin fun... It is always nice to have someone to roost or get roosted by :) You say that the KLX300 was fine? You would be shocked at how much finer a YZF250 would be!! IMHO - EVERYTHING that the KLX does is easier on the YZF (including starting)!!! Here in my area, good used YZF's are pretty frequently in the classifieds.. The WR model is a little harder to come by because there werent as many sold here. I know there were some crank pin issues at the beginning production models so you might want to do a little research and get a handle on which year (s) that applies to. Other then that, I have heard NOTHING but big positives about this "little blue wonder"!! Oh, I dont agree with the idea that the YZF250 does not make a GREAT woods bike - in skilled hands they are a very worthy weapon!!! As far as the WR goes, man if you can find one that may very well be the ideal machine - especially if your lucky enough to find one in its "unaltered" original state! I say this because they came with a throttle stop in them that kept them below 3/4 throttle... That would be a good way to start out - do the "free mods" as your experience increases..
Woodsy

Daisycutter

Apr 28, 2003
Originally posted by Racer#213
I own a kx100 and i'm 15. what do you have to say about that daisy cutter. therefore, since i am not 13, YOUR OPINION(STATEMET) IS FALSE.

I know you consider 15 to be a "big kid" and 13 to be a "little kid"... However, as an adult with a mortgage and children of my own, I don't draw a big deffernce between 13yo and 15yo.

you are too big for a kx100. i'm 5'5", 5'6-7" w/boots. and i'm prolly moving up to a 125 or 250f next spring. I'd definantely say a used yz250f should be able to get them around 3000 for a good condition one. or the kdx200's are sweet bikes too. i ride my dads and it's sweet. so i'd go for one of them too.

Dogman/Racer-

Spned more tim an you grammer homwerk.

By stating that you're:

A WHOPPING WHOLE 15 years old and ride a KX100,

SEE 15 YEAR OLDS riding these bikes,

OR YOUR WIFE (less the soccer part) rides one...(KelvinKDX)

You are proving my statement correct. "13yo" & "soccer mom" are intended as stereotypical references, not to be taken literally.

The MAN requesting advice is 40 years old and he rides a VFR750 (which requires a drivers license). The bikes mentioned (KX100/CRF150) are not marketed to his demographic. He would, in many people's opinions look silly on one.

BTW, back in the "dark ages" when I was 14yo I rode my 1984 Yamaha IT490, and it was not my father's. (Although my dad could've beaten up your dad. :) )

Now I'm 6'1" tall and 165lbs. I ride a 2001 CR500 and a 1994 CR250. I've ridden since before you were born, owned more bikes than you've had birthday candles, and do know what I'm talking about.

Still, I don't say that your opinion is bunk. You are entitled to your's as much as I'm entitled to mine.

Happy trails.

Racer#213

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Nov 14, 2002
Yes your dad prolbably could have beaten up my dad. I find it funny that you're an "adult" and your "mocking" or trying to pick a fight with a "WHOLE WHOPPING 15 YEAR OLD." and as a 15 year old I find 13 and 15 as a big difference. Look at some of the 13 year olds andd 15 year olds, then tell me they don't look different.

and saying that "kx100's are for soccer moms and 13 year olds" isn't really an opinion. it's more of a statement. to say"I believe that kx100's are more for the younger group of riders and women, and not so much for 40 year old men" that would be an opinion.

ok back on subject. i also beilieve that the wr250f would be an excellent bike for your situation (OPINION). the yz250f's are excellent bikes though. after riding my friends and feeling how good the bottom end is, and how smoothly it revs. and it feels to rev quite well too. i'd say look into a used wr250f or yz250f. the wr's will run more and like woodsy said, are more rare to come across. but if you look, you will find. i think there was one in the "for sale" forums a while ago wasn't there. but i think that was a 2003 so it's prolly a little to high for your price range. But i'm still saying to look into the kdx200 also.

frankfilm

~SPONSOR~
Jun 9, 2003
Hi,

I went to the dealer and stood on a KX100 and CRF150. First, I bottomed the springs. Then I hunched over to reach the bars.

The KDX200/220 and YZF/WR250 were a great fit standing.

Does anybody know how the power delivery compares between the KDX and YZF?

Thanks,
Frank

Racer#213

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Nov 14, 2002
I DO! the YZF is a fast bike. 1 st and 2nd gear just kinda rev out like a 2 stroke, but a little smoother. but it's still quick and in the higher r's. and then you hit third and you feel like you could hold it there forever. it just keeps on given. well eventually you gotta shift due to the rev limiter. Pretty good bottom, very tractable from the bottom end, then it comes in hard at like 7-10k rpms and from 10-13 or 14 or whereever it runs outta r's it stays about hte same.

The kdx200, has good bottom end, is made to be reved like a 125. it's pretty much a 125 with power taken from the top and added to the bottom. it's very smooth. front suspension is very soft however. i also love this bike. it can handle small jumps. i was jumping my dads outta a ditch like thing and prolly like 4 feet to flat and it was a very smooth landing no bottoming. THe kdx is very capable with some mods though.

Conclusion: Both excellent bikes. KDX is easier maintenence (never have to touch the thing, service the filter, oil, and gas her up) none of those valves or cam shains to deal with. I'd sayt he kdx would prolly be a little more "beginner friendly" and it would also allow you to excel a lot in your skill. as i think the yzf would also allow you to excel in your skill, it would prolly take a little longer to get use to for never riding a bike. plus the seat hieght is pretty high, and how so STIFF of a seat! Hope that helped, need anymore, me or someone else can lend ya a hand, GUARENTEED

Racer#213

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Nov 14, 2002
oh the kdx220. forgot about that one. i havn't ridden one, but from what people say is that it's slower tha the 200 and is made to be ridden more like a 4-stroke, where the 200 is made to be more run like a 2-stroke 125. so if you like to give it some revs, which the 200 does well, and like good bottome, which the 200 has, then the 200 would go over the 220. but if you like to give it gas and have the power come on smooth and early, with virtually no hit, then the 220 is for you. but thne again i have not ridden a 220, just from the words of a dealer owners mouth.

Daisycutter

Apr 28, 2003
The YZF 250 is marketed/designed/intended for the MX track. (~$5500)

The KDX 200 more for the trails. (~$3600)

Personally I'd choose the KDX as it offers a more plush suspension, a headlight, and well proven bullet proof design for about $2K less. Esp. since I believe you stated that MX racing wasn't your primary objective.

Other models to consider are XR250s/XR400s.

Recently I had seen new 2003 carryover KDX200s selling for $3000 + tax in my state (AZ). Buying a used KDX would be a good option. You could most likely ride it for a while and if you didn't like it you could always sell it for virtually no loss.

Racer- Cool your jets. Nobody's gonna fight you, internet or otherwise. Even if it did come to that I wouldn't have anything to do with it. I'd simply call the neighbor kid over. She is a girl, but she's pretty tough. ;)

Racer#213

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Nov 14, 2002
ok just makin sure there daisy.

The bad thing about the xr250 and xr400, is with those prices, you may as well get a yz250f. the xr400 is about equall to the kdx200. well they are compared together. so the kdx retails at 3600, wasn't it 3999, did they drop the price? anyways the kdx retails for 3600or 3999, and the xr400 retails for like 5200 or something i think. the xr250 is about equal to the kx100 in power, other than bottom end is much higher on the 250. and that retails for like 4799. so they are still pretty expensive. I'm also voting for the kdx, we got ours left over for 3700 after all the fees and all were done adding up, man that list is long and expensive.

Porstala F9

Jul 30, 2003

Dogman/Racer-

Spned more tim an you grammer homwerk.

By stating that you're:

A WHOPPING WHOLE 15 years old and ride a KX100,

SEE 15 YEAR OLDS riding these bikes,

OR YOUR WIFE (less the soccer part) rides one...(KelvinKDX)

You are proving my statement correct. "13yo" & "soccer mom" are intended as stereotypical references, not to be taken literally.

The MAN requesting advice is 40 years old and he rides a VFR750 (which requires a drivers license). The bikes mentioned (KX100/CRF150) are not marketed to his demographic. He would, in many people's opinions look silly on one.

BTW, back in the "dark ages" when I was 14yo I rode my 1984 Yamaha IT490, and it was not my father's. (Although my dad could've beaten up your dad. :) )

Now I'm 6'1" tall and 165lbs. I ride a 2001 CR500 and a 1994 CR250. I've ridden since before you were born, owned more bikes than you've had birthday candles, and do know what I'm talking about.

Still, I don't say that your opinion is bunk. You are entitled to your's as much as I'm entitled to mine.

Happy trails.

For the record, he nor I were arguing with you about the bike being too small for HIM, because everyone will agree with that, but your statement about discounting a bike like the KX 100 and while saying "13 year old kids and soccer moms" making an image looking like a wimpy, kiddy bike, where it is certainly not if you have ever seen riders on it that can take full potential of its power. My brother is getting one for his birthday actually.

And I found it completely ridiculoud that you said my opinion was dumb, when the only one I gave before was the one about him being able to learn fine on a YZ250F.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom