Joburble

Bring back the CR500
~SPONSOR~
Jul 20, 2009
Hey guys, I'm looking at putting a 97 KX125 front end on my 06 KDX200, I have all the parts to make it fit so there's no drama there. However, I measured up the KX front end and built it in my CAD program. The offset is 2mm less (22mm) and the distance from the top of the fork tubes to the axle centre is 30mm longer (945mm). This means that even if I drop the triple trees by 15mm (as far as they can go without reaching the taper on the forks) it will leave me with some quite different geometry from the original forks.
Rake from 26.5 to 27 degrees (no real issue)
Wheel base length from 1435mm to 1438mm (no real issue)
Trail from 108 to 116 (now here's were it'll make a difference in the tight woods).
Has anyone whose done this conversion noticed a handling difference in the tight stuff?
I'm pretty sure that the conversion would be better than just having Gold Valves put in my KDX forks, but I really don't want to trade that off for poorer tight woods handling. Your thoughts any one?

mudpack

Nov 13, 2008
Joburble said:
I'm pretty sure that the conversion would be better than just having Gold Valves put in my KDX forks, Your thoughts any one?
Why do you think it would be better?
Forks designed for tight woods riding will have different characteristics than those designed for motocross. Maybe that's why Kawasaki went back from upsidedown forks on the KDX200 after trying them for a short period.
I'm not so sure the converstion would be "better". Frankly, I have no issues with the standard forks on the '06 KDX. After tuning/spring change to suit your weight and style, they should be better than you need.
Them's my thoughts......

KDXROCKET14

Mar 22, 2012
I'm with mudpack. I have no complaints with my forks on my 2002 kdx after i had them set up for my style, but that's just me. Once you dial in your forks for your weight and the type of riding you do, then they should be fine. Kx forks are pure track, and that's the only place those forks are good. Kdx forks are designed for woods. A lot of people do the conversion just because they think the kx forks look cooler than the standard kdx forks. And yes they do look trick, but you need to debate the overall performance.
Ryan.

Joburble

Bring back the CR500
~SPONSOR~
Jul 20, 2009
That's a good point guys. The reason I thought they'd be better is simply because I have read posts by some who have changed their forks and they have said they are better. I am pretty much happy with the standard setup in regard to steering, but the forks definitely need work in regard to damping. Does any one who has done a front end KX conversion have any comments? And for those with experience who have said the front end conversion is better, why, and how does it steer now in the tight stuff?

Last edited:

doctord

Sep 23, 2010
One advantage of the inverted forks is that they don't have the under hang of the stock units. I have been happy with the conversion. The 125 spring rate worked best for me.

Top Bottom