83MX80

Feb 21, 2005
1) your physical size (both height and weight are important)
-5'6" 150lbs
2) How physical / aggressive are you ?
-im not too aggressive right now, but once i get used to the bike i will be more agg.
3) what do you plan to ride- MX/SX tracks, woods, fields with friends or ?????
-fields and trail riding, probably 99% trails
4) Do you have any riding experience?
-yes
5) Do you think you will race ?
no, other than with friends in a field
6) Are you mechanically inclined and will you be doing your own bike work?
-yes i can do my own work
7) Do YOU have a preferance to a brand/ motor choice (2 or 4 stroke)?
- nope, but i am only looking at the kx125 and kx250
8) Do you have a dealer close by your home that you might use and what brand(s) does he carry?
- yes, kawi, suzuki, yamaha, 4 hours away is a ktm/honda dealer
9) How much do you plan to spend on a bike?
between 2,000-4,000 (as close to the 2,000 as possible)
10) Do you live in California? no
11) anything else that you think would help form an opinion
- well i have ridden both these bikes. sister's friend has a kx125 and i loved it, sister's boyfriend has a kx250 and it was okay, kinda scared me a bit. leaning towards the 125 even though they arent the greatest trail bikes.
i will riding in gravel pits, single track trails, trail riding through the trees. thanks for the help.

robwbright

Apr 8, 2005
125s aren't the IDEAL trail bikes, but they do just fine - plus, they're lots of fun. You might want to look into a flywheel weight for trail riding - it will smooth out the "hit" of the 125 and move the power curve down a bit so you don't have to clutch is quite so much.

Dave_panda

Mod Ban
Aug 4, 2006
dude I have a kx 85 and we put a stealhy fywheel weight on it and a gnarly fmf pipe is one of the best trial bikes do you race mx or harescramble stuff ?

Jan 3, 2007
Dave_panda, correct me if i am wrong but i think FMF dose not make a GNARLY for the KX85.

83MX80, i have a 1979 IT175 wich is very similar to your bike. So, i will compare both those bike to your current one power wise and handling.

KX125, light, less bottom end stock, better suspesion, stalls more at low speeds, jumps fantastic, cuts the corrners very sharp, has lots of mid range and top end hit and power, your bike will out run it in its 6th gear pinned but not by much, the 125 will get there a whole lot faster, and you cant be lazy so you have to stay on the pipe.

KX250, still light, about 1 third more bottom end compared to your bike, this bike will eat yours in any gear, it has enough power to wheelie in 3rd gear with out any effort, carvs the corners, jumps better, suspesion will noy bottom near as much, all in all better in every way except price.

kawicam250

I bleed green!
Aug 7, 2006
2 strokes for life said:
Dave_panda, correct me if i am wrong but i think FMF dose not make a GNARLY for the KX85.

83MX80, i have a 1979 IT175 wich is very similar to your bike. So, i will compare both those bike to your current one power wise and handling.

KX125, light, less bottom end stock, better suspesion, stalls more at low speeds, jumps fantastic, cuts the corrners very sharp, has lots of mid range and top end hit and power, your bike will out run it in its 6th gear pinned but not by much, the 125 will get there a whole lot faster, and you cant be lazy so you have to stay on the pipe.

KX250, still light, about 1 third more bottom end compared to your bike, this bike will eat yours in any gear, it has enough power to wheelie in 3rd gear with out any effort, carvs the corners, jumps better, suspesion will noy bottom near as much, all in all better in every way except price.

except height and weight which will be more crucial on trails. a 125, IMO, would be a better trail bike because the power doesnt hit as hard and its lighter literally and lighter on the price tag.

83MX80

Feb 21, 2005
well if i get the 125 i probably wont put a flywheel weight on it. but im thinking about just getting the 250 and learning on it.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom