adam728

Aug 16, 2004
Is there anyway to register an ORV in Michigan? I was born and raised there, and all we ever did was have a title and an ORV sticker. I was under the impression registration = street legal bike, off-road only gets nothing.

I'm temporarily in Arizona, and today the Sheriff checked us out and wasn't too pleased with my KX (the KDX is dual sported, so it didn't get a glance). I showed him my title, he ran the vin (clean), but said it absolutly must be registered, and next time will be a $500 fine and no more bike! :yikes: He said even if it were sitting in my yard under a tarp it must be registered or it's gone.

To register it in AZ I will need to change everything over, my license, jeep, trailer, KDX, and I'm not going to do that because I am only here for about 3 months, then going back to MI. Is there any possible way to get a Michigan registration? The officer was also a Michigan native (Gaylord) and said that all bikes and quads there are registered, as they are motor vehicles and it's a national law. :whoa: That was news to me, especially after working at 2 different dealers for most of my college career.

By the way, it was a beatiful 55-60 degree day, sun just peaking through the clouds, and we got a good 4 hours of riding in. Tomorrow's weather should be about the same, and I plan on riding 5-6 hours on the KDX. I just thought I'd rub it in. This relocation stuff isn't all bad, ya know? :laugh:

woodsy

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 16, 2002
Adam:
You have discovered something kinda ugly about Az. My brother-in-law worked in Flagstaff for a short time (less then 2 months) and he found out right away what you are finding out - they want your money bad!! The authorites came on the job site where he worked and nailed over 300 out of towners for living there and not transferring everything over.. Sad but true..
The guy may very well be from Michigan but he dont know squat about our laws. Nothing has changed since you were here - there is NO registration required on dirtbikes and yes, an ORV sticker is all you need to ride here (not counting silencers and the such). ORV stickers are NOT a registration of any sort. The bikes VIN is never part of the stickering process..
In your case, it might be worth your time to find out what it entails to license a dirtbike in AZ.. Hopefully its not as big a deal as CA or it could get icky...
Other then that, get the heck out of Dodge before sundown there Wyatt..
Woodsy

adam728

Aug 16, 2004
Registering a bike here is easy, the problem is I also need to change over my driver's license, and therefor my Jeep, trailer, and KDX plate. Not for a three month stay I'm not.

I'm going to talk to the sherrif's office and see what they have to say about it. They are supposed to honor the laws of other states, i.e., if I am visiting a riding with a current Michigan ORV tag they should accept it. That's what the officer told me, and a handful of other people. His big hangup was that I didn't have a registration and when he ran the vin it didn't come back to anyone, and apparently a title isn't proof enough. The bike may be done for extensive mods very soon anyway.

Top Bottom