tyler_43

Jun 22, 2007
Hi
Just recently bought a kx250 for trail riding (my 125 I use on the track doesn't have the bottom end to keep up to my dad's GasGas ec200 in the bush). I got the suspension all set up (surprised at how soft I could get it!), and threw a super wide back tire on it (140, 90, 19), but I'm still having major traction issues. It chugs around the trails great IF I can keep the rpm down but as soon as you touch the throttle it just wails and spins out - I'm sure the fact that I'm only 130pounds doesn't help!
Anyways - I'm just wondering what size of flywheel weight I should throw on it to help this issue... I don't wanna totally kill the top end as I still use it in the gravel pits and on gravel roads, I just need it a bit more docile... my buddy's yz250 is way too weighted up and it's just plain boring :P

thnx in advance

Hawk45

Feb 21, 2003
Flywheel weight from what I understand shouldn't effect the topend much or throttle... it should just help you chug around better. I was recommened to go as big as I could and works great on my CR250... 14oz I think. And it still eats with a flick. If you are going to be doing track races you may want to go with 10 -12oz. Your buddys bike setup could cause the lower end power displacement you don't like.. probably his bore/pipe/jetting/etc setup.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
If you buddy has one that is way too weighted up and you don't want to go there how much is too much? Also keep in mide the green and blue engines might react a bit differently not to mention any opinion you get is that person preference. Me I'd say go as heavy as you can.

2-Strokes 4-ever

~SPONSOR~
Feb 9, 2005
Missouri
IMO... go heavy, you can always have a machine shop shave some off. Also, use your clutch to apply power... it will make your 2-stroke's power delivery much more predictable than throttle alone. Riding a snappy 2-stroke requires mastering "feeding" the power in... via the clutch.

tyler_43

Jun 22, 2007
yeah his yz250 has an older wr250 (two-stroke wr) flywheel and a 12oz. weight - so probably around 18oz. of extra weight on there :P
It does really affect the top end - it might rev as high it just takes quite a while to build up the rpm.
From what I can tell here and asking around 9 or 10oz. seems like a good pick - I think I'll go with that.
Thanks for the Input

moto9

May 5, 2004
yes, Go heaviest possible which I think is 13oz, I would get a Gnarly pipe and if you have'nt already steel plates in the clutch

eprovenzano

Nov 7, 2005
A 13oz FWW is just what you need. Its easy to install, and will allow you to tractor down low, but when you want the 2 stroke snap, its still there. The FWW just keeps the engine from spinning up quite as fast. It also help to keep the bike from stalling. Its a great addition.

breezeair

Feb 8, 2006
I went with 11oz on my yz250. It made traction much better. Rekluse clutch helps the most, you can run a gear higher when traction is at a premium and not worry about stalling.

Top Bottom