pkbarbiedoll

Jul 14, 2006
kx250 FMF turbine core spark arrestor - how to mount?

I have a brand new FMF spark arrestor for my 1999 KX250 but I'm unsure how it is supposed to be mounted. The stock silencer fits up against the frame, but the FMF is so long it hits the rear fender leaving a 3/4" gap between the mount tabs and frame.

Am I supposed to cut my fender or buy spacers to put between the frame and spark arrester mounting tabs?

Last edited:

MXSparx

Mr. Meltsomeglass
Jul 25, 1999
NoVa
FMF's website lists the Turbinecore for KX's up to 1993. Anything newer uses Turbinecore 2. Could this be the problem?

pkbarbiedoll

Jul 14, 2006
Well the silencer slips in the pipe and the mounting holes line up perfectly, except for the space I mentioned. Actually the Turbinecore came with the bike along with a zillion other new enduro parts, the guy I bought it from was going to race an enduro series but stopped riding and sold his bike to me.

When I go to my storage space I'll double check the packaging.

pkbarbiedoll

Jul 14, 2006
I checked the package this weekend.. it's a Turbinecore II Q and is made specifically for 99-01 KX250.

So - what to do about the gap between muffler tab and frame?

MX86

Dec 27, 2006
you can take the rubber mounts off your stock one ;) normally they do not come with them.

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
Mine came with a spacer to help it clear the fender. I added a few washers for more clearence though.

Top Bottom