Marklx

May 24, 2001
I posted this over in Thumpers, but this is probably the place to be.

Have an opportunity to buy some '98 kx250 forks and crown. Have heard it's a bolt on, but wondering exactly what I'll need (wheel, brakes, rotors, etc)to do this. Have heard the fork is much better than stock. Any opinions?

Thanks,

Mark

Jeremy Wilkey

Owner, MX-Tech
Jan 28, 2000
Mark,
Sorry but I don't have a clue.. I was hoping someone might have done this. it will be triple clamps for sure.. The Forum over here is more techincally based I wish our collective would be able to help you..

Jer

MACE

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 13, 1999
Larry Roessler built some magazine test bikes with KX forks. Check his company Stroker for info. The way to go is undoubtedly to get the whole wheel/brake package from the KX if possible. The KDX forum guys might know if the KLX stuff will bolt on.

Jer, the KX forks are vastly superior to the KLX/KDX pattern forks if I remember past discussions correctly. Right?

I believe you will also want to use a KX shock shaft to balance the travel F/R. This will fix my biggest gripe with the KLX - low ground and peg clearance.

I haven't got any practical experience with this - but this is how I would proceed if this were my project.

Jeremy Wilkey

Owner, MX-Tech
Jan 28, 2000
Yes the KX has x^3 better componets. I remmber that article actually. I'm not sure what the longer shaft really actualy acomplishes though.. The KLX does have a very short stroke and the body tube could handle more shaft length but what would putting a longer shaft actually acomplish other than raising set ht 3 inches? Maybe the KX forks do that? The rear suspension is really bad so with the forks it may workout much better. I would just guess something else must change beacuse we are not changing shock mounting points or linkage ratio.. I would defintly go talk with someone who has done it if you don't like big adventures in patience..

Jer

Marklx

May 24, 2001
I'm leaning now towards investing in the front end, triple clamps, and the rest of the bike attached. While I love the challenge and think the KLX is very capable, I think it will stay the fun trail bike it is, and I'll start saving for a slightly used mx'r. I can have both, can't I?

Mark

Top Bottom