johnkdx220

Feb 6, 2003
Hi guys,

Please advise before temptation wins me over...

I've just been offered a complete kX250 front end in excellent shape for $325 (Including Excel rim, new michelin tire, tuned upside down forks, clampls...... the whole works)

I mostly do hare scrambles and always found the KDX forks to be OK in thight trails but terrible in woops.

Can somebody tell me if the conversion is well worth the effort and $$$.

Thanks

skipro3

Mod Ban
Dec 14, 2002
What year assembly do you have John? My mod cost me about 2 hours labor on my own and about 15 minutes of a machine shop to press the stem and bearings together. It is easier than replacing a piston, for example. A few shims need to be fabricated, but it isn't hard at all. I sold my KDX220 leftover parts for about $250. If you sell your old stuff, that would make the change over cost about $75 dollars. If you need specific details on how to do this, let us know. There are several here who can walk you through the process.
As far as Whoops go, you can forget 'em after the mod. I pretend that the whoops are just a little washboard straight away and gas it hard. Moving over 2 foot deep whoops at 40 mph is my pace when there is a long straight of them. In the woods where there are only 3 to 6 between corners, try and get lined up before hitting the throttle. Otherwise I find the a$$ end of the bike trying to pass my front end.

91KDX

Jan 23, 2003
I would have to say they are definitly worth it!! I like them a lot for harescrambles. They are a little stiff for Really tight woods but I can make due with them. This is why I am trying my hardest to replace my forks that were ruined in an accident. I would say go for it. Be sure to try and get the right brake caliper for it though!!!

Ben

Midhigh

~SPONSOR~
Jul 19, 2002
Just my opinion (for what it's worth) it is worth every penny and all the effort. My complete conversion (KX 125) front end was well worth it. And after I sold my KDX front end to Fredette It was affordable, and I did all the work myself except for pressing the KDX stem in the KX clamps.

Top Bottom