Treb37

Oct 26, 2002
Ok I understand the principle of how a pipe works, but I have no way to know what pipe will do what since they just list them by name instead of volume. I'm thinking about an aftermarket pipe on my 99kx250 and have no clue where to start. I read somewhere that the Pro Circuit was the way to go but I'd like some more info on why this pipe is better than say an FMF or even the stock pipe?

whitesands26

Mod Ban
Nov 17, 2002
In reality it is very rare to actually achieve a noticeable improvement in power with aftermarket exhausts....Every once in a while some pipes will make a difference with a specific model but on the whole the performance benefit doesn't match the cost...

The only way one could justify getting an aftermarket exhaust would be if the stock exhaust was ruined and it the aftermarket could be had cheaper than stock...The Pro circuit and FMF platinum pipes look really cool so if you're going after better looks and you can afford then go for it...

But if Real big performance gains that you can really notice are what you're looking for looking for then send your cylinder to Eric Gorr and have it ported for $155 or so...I think exhausts can be has high as $250 or more with little or no performance increase. With the porting, you will get huge power increases.

DirtRyder03

Jul 14, 2003
Originally posted by whitesands26
In reality it is very rare to actually achieve a noticeable improvement in power with aftermarket exhausts....Every once in a while some pipes will make a difference with a specific model but on the whole the performance benefit doesn't match the cost...

The only way one could justify getting an aftermarket exhaust would be if the stock exhaust was ruined and it the aftermarket could be had cheaper than stock...The Pro circuit and FMF platinum pipes look really cool so if you're going after better looks and you can afford then go for it...

But if Real big performance gains that you can really notice are what you're looking for looking for then send your cylinder to Eric Gorr and have it ported for $155 or so...I think exhausts can be has high as $250 or more with little or no performance increase. With the porting, you will get huge power increases.
What??..........that may be true on other bikes but not kx250's, Just adding a pipe can change the whole power characteristics of the bike? when I Had my stock pipe/ Silencer on my Kx250 it had no top-end(most kx's dont) and after i added a pc pipe & silencer all the way from bottom end to top had improved especially the mid-top, I probly got another 3-5mph on top?

A pipe is probly the best mod you could do to dirtbike?

whitesands26

Mod Ban
Nov 17, 2002
Originally posted by DirtRyder03

What??..........that may be true on other bikes but not kx250's, Just adding a pipe can change the whole power characteristics of the bike? when I Had my stock pipe/ Silencer on my Kx250 it had no top-end(most kx's dont) and after i added a pc pipe & silencer all the way from bottom end to top had improved especially the mid-top, I probly got another 3-5mph on top?

A pipe is probly the best mod you could do to dirtbike?

A pipe is NOT the best mod for a motocross bike...IMHO suspension setup is the most important mod to have on an MX bike.

That's right...It is rare to get huge power increases with an exhaust....Porting will do so much more in the power department than an exhaust...And it can be done for $100 cheaper than buying an exhaust...Sure, it would be easier to buy an exhaust and just put it on, but the performance gain isn't as impressive(if an exhaust actually does benefit a particular bike) as porting...If done by an expert, porting can yield huge power gains...

I wouldn't deny that you gained some hp with your exhaust....Some exhaust can benefit a particular MX bike...BUT....Not all bikes experience a HP gain with an aftermarket exhaust and some get worse hp results with the addition of an exhaust.

I was just giving the guy a more Effective and Much Cheaper alternative just in case he was in search of more power.

Top Bottom