old-smoker

Nov 5, 2007
Hi. Can anybody help?! i have a `89 kx250 with a engine that is completely in bits in a box. It needs a complete rebuild, a new piston and barrel and a few other bits that have gone awol in the previous owners garage! I have found a few barrels for sale but they are slightly different to mine which is making me think it isn`t a kx engine, maybe a kdx/kmx? I have only seen pics of the replacement barrels (mail order!) and they have the kips logo cast in the flywheel side but mine has a rectangular panel. Also the way the head is shaped and bolts on appears to be different. The mountings and hose stubs appear to be in the same position but are slightly different. Any ideas which barrels are interchangable and what engine i have? Sorry if this description is a bit vauge but im a new member and have pics but dont know how to post them. please ask if you need any more info. I am at a dead end with this engine and have also been considering a used replacement but cannot find a affordable `89 kx engine. Does anybody know what other motors will fit (or can be made to fit)? I need to get this bike moving! :bang:

76GMC1500

Uhhh...
Oct 19, 2006
The crankcases usually have a serial number. Your dealer should be able to tell you what the engine is from. In 89, the KDX was 200cc so you should be able to tell by the piston diameter/bore measurement if you still have a jug.

old-smoker

Nov 5, 2007
it is a kx 250 engine and says .249L on the barrel but cant understand why my barrel is different from the ones for sale.

Anybody any ideas or know how to post a pic? Have just tried to link to the pics but spamkiller stops me!

Rotorranch

Feb 10, 2007
A lot of times, there is just a generic photo of the part at online mail order places. In other words, a pic of a cylinder, which may not be a pic of the cylinder for your specific bike.

The actual part may not be shown in a pic.

Rotor

old-smoker

Nov 5, 2007
Its definately a pic of the actual part. Any body got any suggestions about different engines that might fit this frame? There is a `86 rm250 engine for sale with all electrics, exhaust and carb. Do you think it would work? would be easier (?)and cheaper than getting a new barrel, piston and a full rebuild. the rm engine is cheap and is out of a bike with a snapped frame and was fast for its age. Anyone else done anything similar to this?

old-smoker

Nov 5, 2007
I have been told that my engine is a `89 kx250 and that engine and barrel only ran for one year it was modifyed to include the newer power valve. anybody know anything about this? it is a 89 engine. Also the rm engine will fit using new mounting brackets and a bit of patience. I have loose fitted it and the only problems i can see is the exhaust is a bit close to the tank. I might try some exhaust wrap or may just cut it and weld.

Top Bottom