trailrider894

Oct 15, 2008
Hey guys, recently re-built my '00 KX250. Had the cylinder re-plated and installed a new piston and gaskets. I used the break in methods that the piston manufacturer recommended. I've been running a 32:1 mix ratio, and when I was doing the break in, it started just fine on the 3rd or 4th kick, but had lots of spooge. Now, it won't start at all... You could kick the thing all day long and it won't even run for a few seconds... I've tried several different spark plugs, changed the fuel out to make sure it wasn't bad. Its just starting to really aggravating, because I've never owned a bike before and really would like to get it running before my deployment so I can play around at the dunes.

Also having the same problem with my little brothers KX85.

Dklulz

Aug 23, 2010
Sounds like a fouled plug, but you said you switched it out. Check for spark. Check to see if one of your grounds came off with ign coil/check to see if grounded properly.

trailrider894

Oct 15, 2008
Dklulz said:
Sounds like a fouled plug, but you said you switched it out. Check for spark. Check to see if one of your grounds came off with ign coil/check to see if grounded properly.

Did both of your suggestions, and still nothing. I think its a jetting issue.

Mully

Moderator / SuperPowers
Jun 9, 1999
Check to see if you have a big fat blue spark.

Three things to make a bike run.
Fuel
Air
Spark

rostifer

Mar 23, 2006
Make sure it has coolant in it and it'll solve all your problems. haha jk. Here's a question. Is your carb getting gas? you may have a float issue or maybe a screwed up pet ****. Had a YZ 426 that gave me fits with that issue. Just throwing out some options that others hadn't. Often times in my experience it can be something stupidly simple that keeps us off the trails or track. Other thought. Even though this is highly unlikely because you said you just replaces the piston and cylinder wall. But do you have compression?

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
Air filter clogged or too saturated with oil?

I know of one old friend who used way too much oil on his air filter when he was a beginner, and could not get his bike to start. Took awhile to figure that one out, lol.

MxRed

Oct 11, 2012
you might try a hotter sparkplug...what sparkplug are you running in it?
try a NGK BR8ES its not too expensive but it will work. I had the same problem with my cr125r and switched to this sparkplug and didnt have anyproblems from their on!

Top Bottom