kiwikx

Apr 1, 2002
Im starting to think I should have just saved more money & got something newer. About 2 weeks ago we did a full engine job on my Kx. It was running quite rich down low and spluttering before powerband, after playing with air screw & dropping needle 1 notch was running heaps better. Tryed to start this morning, but no go, about 20 kicks, nothing. Leave it for a bit, & fit new plug, 20 more kicks still nothing, I noticed that if I leaned over a bit quite a bit of fuel comming out the overflow, also removed plug & it is soaked in fuel...
Filter looks fine also, please tell me where to start...

skhasky

Apr 8, 2002
The float engages a needle/seat that seals the flow off when the float bowl is full. Yours could definitely be leaking. Or the float could be faulty. If the plug is that wet, and a new one does the same, raw fuel is getting in there somehow! BTW - do you close your petcock when the bike is sitting?

kiwikx

Apr 1, 2002
Petcock?? Is that the gas tap... If so yes I turn it off all the time as soon as Ive finished riding. Its weird sometimes as soon as I turn gas tap on (before starting), even when im sitting on the bike quite a bit of gas flowes out of the overflow for about 5-10 sec.
If it is a float prob or something like that is it easy enough for me to fix, or whould I have to take it to the shop?? :whiner: :whiner:

skhasky

Apr 8, 2002
Petcock is an old term for gas tap. Try this... pull the hose off the carburetor (the one that connects the petcock to the carb) and put the hose on the end of a plastic bottle. Make sure the petcock is off an the extra fuel has drained from the tube. Now, let it sit overnight. Did any fuel leak out? If so, you have a faulty petcock. Whether it does or doesn't, you still have something going on which is letting neat fuel into the engine. I'd suspect the float. If you take the float bowl off the carb, a screw or two is all that usually holds the float in place. Take the float out and shake it to see if you hear gas inside. If so, replace the float. Under the float is a needle and seat. Inspect these for wear. If they have grooves, replace them as they are likely leaking fuel into the bowl. Let's start there and see where we get.

jmics19067

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 22, 2002
although I am not going to say that your float level/needle and seat are right but if you lean the bike over say past 45 degrees a properly set up carb will still drool out the overflow.

how far did you have to mess with the airscrew to get it too run right? anything less that 1 turn from seated you might need a richer pilot jet any more than 2 turns out leaner jet. Is your choke working?

Turn your fuel off, take the plug out , put the bike in second gear , hold the throttle wide open and while holding the kill button push the bike around the driveway for a bit to expell all the raw gas out of the engine.
Check the plug for spark , put it in, turn on the fuel if you can remember where the mixture screw was before you adjusted it put it back to wear it was and see if it starts. If it start s up well the problem is your carb need s to be tuned up starting with checking the needle and seat and the float level

kiwikx

Apr 1, 2002
Thanks heaps for the info guys,
My air screw is set at 1 1/2 turns out, before it was 2 turns out.
It drips out of overflow quite a bit even when bike is uprite?
as soon as tap is on...I will take hose of carb & put a bottle underneath & see if tap is faulty tonite.
I'll run it round the driveway first to get rid of excess gas first.

dell30rb

Uhhh...
Dec 2, 2001
did it start? If not you can try pullin the plug, and with thhe petcock and throttle off kick it over a bunch. If a fine mist of gas comes out of the spark plug hole, then its loaded up and there is a leak inyour petcock. Kick it over until gas stops spewing out of the hole, then re install fresh plug and attempt to start. You may go through a few plugs trying to get it to start, and when it starts it may not want to rev. If it wont rev, turn the petcock off and hold it wfo. After a minute or two of chugging along, it will rev like a banshee! (This is where you turn the petcock on)

SndyRds

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 1, 2001
Down and dirty way to check why a bike doesn't run.

Pull out plug. put finger over spark plug hole, kick. does it have compression? It should push your finger off. and "pop". if it does move on to,,

Put removed spark plug back in cap, set plug threads on bare metal on head or whatever to ground it, kick, nice fat blue spark? if it does move on to,,,

Spray a 2-4 second blast of WD-40 (it's a lubricant and burns, unlike starting fluid) into spark plug hole, install plug and cap kick 2- 10 times,,
Does it run and then die? Then it's fuel starved( no fuel).

If it doesn't start and plug is wet it's flooded. if flooded remove and kick with plug out 20 times with throttle closed and put in new plug and try again.

Remember an engine needs,,,

Compression (the right amount).

Spark (at the right time).

Fuel (mixed with the right amount of air 12:1 to 15:1).

IT MUST RUN if theese needs are met.

Compression is usually good especially if it ran before and nothing should have made it degrade.

Spark can be more elusive, can be ok when checking outside the engine, but (spark can be) lost under compression in the engine, and if the plug is fouled.
By Gas (wet) or fouled (black deposits).

Get a bunch of new plugs at auto zone (cheap).

Also with most modern ignitions timing is rarly an issue but you should at least checked.

AHH fuel and air? how do you measure these? By looking at the plug.
If it's wet your getting too much fuel and if it's dry not enough!

What to do?

Find away to change how much fuel your getting, as air is fixed (unless there's a rag in your airbox or no filter). Make it richer or leaner.
I had a foul running bike that a friend diagnosed by removing the air filter and stuffing his hand into the airbox and choked the engine and it ran fine.
I thought it was a rich (too much fuel and not enough air) because I live at a high altitude and the bike was too lean (too much air)

If you must eliminate the carb's fuel circut to trouble shoot turn off the fuel petcock, drain the float bowl and try the W-D 40 trick above( with a new plud). With a fixed air source (carb and airbox with no air leaks at the carb/airbox/engine junctions, filter installed and in good condition) and the 2-4 second blast of WD-40 install plug and kick 2-10 times at about 1/3 to 1/2 throttle you will at some point have the right amount air with your unknown amount of fuel (W-D 40) and it should run, I have done this many times. this confirms that I have a fuel (/air) problem.

If plug is wet float level is usually a culprit (high) as when you removed the carb you could have josstled the float around and it stuck (open) sometimes you can drain the float bowl and tap the carb a few time with a plastic mallet refill float bowl and tap a few more times and it will reseat itself, or remove it.
Drain the carb hold it level fill it with gas through the fuel line and carefully remove the bowl and see where the fuel level is in the bowl, (should be APPROX 2/3 to 3/4 full) then turn carb over and check float level as per the manual.

If your bike was running rich before Do you have a jetting problem? Very hard to diagnose with a non running bike.
You say you have rebuilt the engine, to what extent? please elaborate.
If you would like to e-mail me with your phone # I'd be willing to call and help you. Also if you fix it please post as others will learn from your experience.

kiwikx

Apr 1, 2002
Thx guys for all the help so far...
SndyRds, The top end was hooned, new piston kit, new rings, new rod kit, all new main bearings & seals, new reeds & spacer, new clutch inner & outer,all new engine gaskets, etc...
I have had about 10 hrs running time on it so far.
A phone call from you would be great, only prob is that I live in New Zealand.
(I will try all your sugestions so far & keep posting results).

kiwikx

Apr 1, 2002
Guys,
all fixed.
The float was jammed, also there was a bit of sand in the bottom of the bowl
Also after I got it started, it was still a bit fat down low only.
I went one size smaller piolet jet, put back together & tested again.
Holly $hit, seems like I got a totally diferent bike, before down low I had to pull on the bars a bit, to get the front wheel off the ground. Now gotta be real careful on how fast I power on down low. Im lovin it.
I carnt believe how much difference jetting ups performance...... Thanks to all whom helped me....

SndyRds

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 1, 2001
Excellent!!!

You learned some good things and have a "NEW" bike.
You should be very proud of your self (I am).
You used patience, thought, and effort.
And you have been rewarded with new knowledge and under standing.

Way to go!!!

Top Bottom