Krossipoiss

Oct 26, 2008
Going to buy my first 4stroke bike after riding 7years with smokers..
So whats pros and cons of an old 05 kx250f and what should i look when buying a 4stroke ?
Is this bike good for long rider ? I'm 193cm.

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
Not sure about pros, but cons, easy.. It's a used four stroke. Unless you have evidence that it was gone thru recently (ie receipts for the repairs), theres a good chance that you are going to need to spend a considerable amount of time and money rebuilding the engine.

lukesh40

Dec 8, 2005
I bought an 06' last summer. Seemed like an awesome bike, ran well, blast to ride. Fast forward to this summer and I'm already in the process of completely rebuilding the motor. Piston, rings, valves, etc. If your considering moving to a four stroke (like I did from smokers) save your money and buy a new bike or at least get something that you know is fresh with the documentation to back it up. You never know what's up with these things until you take apart the motor and then you end up putting more money into the thing than what you spent on the bike itself. :bang:

dirtbikr99

Nov 21, 2002
Or take this on for a new angle. Buy a bike with a blown up engine. Or one that you know is old and needs work. Then you can rebuild the whole thing. This way you get a great deal on the bike and then you know the engine is brand new. If anything happends down the road your not worried about it because you can fix it yourself.

Krossipoiss

Oct 26, 2008
I'm buying it for 1500$ which is very-very cheap in Estonia..And i'm saving about the same for first engine rebuilt.
O,yeah..didnt mention that the bike "banging" on idle..I think its caused by too rich jetting.

Last edited:

Krossipoiss

Oct 26, 2008
And why so ? I don't know how to say it in english..just engine is not working good while idle..in gear the sound from exhaust is okei..but while idle then it is quite ugly..like banging from exhaust.My friend who has 07 crf thinks that its caused by rich jetting

jb_dallas

Feb 17, 2009
Ive never heard of rich jetting causing a banging sound...I would run like hell from the bike. A 250F with problems is going to be a money pit...you can read stories all over this site.

jb_dallas

Feb 17, 2009
With repect to jetting, backfiring would be due to lean jetting. It could also be attributed to a whole host of other more serious issues.

Top Bottom