tyler_43

Jun 22, 2007
1) your physical size (both height and weight are important)
-5 foot 4inches, 125 pounds
2) How physical / aggressive are you ?
-Pretty Agressive
3) what do you plan to ride- MX/SX tracks, woods, fields with friends or ?????
-Rough, open motocross tracks
4) Do you have any riding experience?
-Yes, quite a bit
5) Do you think you will race ?
-Do and will continue to
6) Are you mechanically inclined and will you be doing your own bike work?
-Yep, dunno about all that valve crap on a fourstroke ;) but top ends on my yz125 are a piece of cake
7) Do YOU have a preferance to a brand/ motor choice (2 or 4 stroke)?
-Kawasaki
8) Do you have a dealer close by your home that you might use and what brand(s) does he carry?
-Kawasaki, GasGas and TmRacing
9) How much ($) do you plan to spend on a bike?
-$3000 to $7000
10) Do you live in California?
-No
11) Your age?

Price isn't really my concern here... i've been saving for a new bike for a while and the parents will kick in... I love the four stroke and our tracks tend to get super rough with all the rain here in BC, so the fourstroke looks like a good choice. However, I'm a pretty small guy and the weight/starting of a four-stroke is a pain in the ass. 144's are legal in our 125 class so I'd send it to Eric Gorr as soon as i got it to get'r bored out...
Incase you're wondering I'm not boring out my yz125 because it is pretty haggard.. by the time I fix it all up I could buy the leftover 2007 kx125 in our dealer (yes they sold kx125's in 2007 in Canada) and be done with it. The 250f I'm looking at is a friend of mine's 2006 (used, but completely mint).
Any insight is appreciated,
thanks

Backslayer

Go Big or Go Home
~SPONSOR~
May 27, 2007
Man I would go with the fourstroke if I were you I have a eg cr 144 and and crf 250 and I like them both The 144 is a blast to ride, but Im faster on the 4 stroke, its easier to ride, has a ton of torque, you would enjoy the four stroke more once you get a hang of its engine braking, don't get me wrong that 144 isn't a slouch either you just have to stay on the pipe

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
My crf250 will be the last 4 stroke I own. The simplicity and cost effectiveness of a 2 stroke are hard to beat.

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
There is very little chance I'd be buying a used 250F. What class and how competitive are you? There is a KX125 locally here running top 3 in the Junior classes that is still the stock bore with a bit of porting and a pipe. Most guys in your situation that want the simplicity/lower cost of owning a 2 stroke end up with a 250 2 stroke and run the MX-1 classes.

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
Chili said:
There is very little chance I'd be buying a used 250F. What class and how competitive are you? There is a KX125 locally here running top 3 in the Junior classes that is still the stock bore with a bit of porting and a pipe. Most guys in your situation that want the simplicity/lower cost of owning a 2 stroke end up with a 250 2 stroke and run the MX-1 classes.

This is also a good option. I sold my old 250 2t to a buddy who recently added a flywheel weght to it. It made the bike much smoother and easier to hang on to for a couple goons like us. The difference in traction is surprising.

tyler_43

Jun 22, 2007
lol look at my size and weight? I've tried a 250 smoker and 450's and they throw me around like a ragdoll... plus our MX-1 classes don't have too many riders in them, I like racing with as full of gate as possible. I think I'd probably be faster on the fourstroke it's just the starting and weight issue... we have a top level intermediate rider that was up until last season racing a KTM 105 with an fmf pipe and porting... so if you're good enough it's not the bike it's the rider. I placed fourth in the Junior class on my bone stock kx100... I'm faster on the yz125 but now I place worse cause a bunch of the really fast ex 80cc riders moved up :P. I just figured if I got a new bike I might as well take advantage of CMRC's displacement rules while I'm at it...
I think what I'll do is mooch my buddy's backup 250f and hit the wastelands... If it's a zillion times better than my yz then I'll get the 250f and if it's only a little bit better I'm gonna stick with the cheaper to maintain, easier to start, lighter option...

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
tyler_43 said:
we have a top level intermediate rider that was up until last season racing a KTM 105 with an fmf pipe and porting...

Guess those Intermediates aren't likely missing Spencer Knowles while he's doing the Nationals ;) .

tyler_43 said:
I think what I'll do is mooch my buddy's backup 250f and hit the wastelands... If it's a zillion times better than my yz then I'll get the 250f and if it's only a little bit better I'm gonna stick with the cheaper to maintain, easier to start, lighter option...

That sounds like a good plan. Taking advantage of the CMRC 153cc rule is cool as long as you understand your are then likely increasing your maintenance intervals over a stock bore 125.

tyler_43

Jun 22, 2007
yeah, he was at Campbell River not this last Sunday but the one before that... the 144sx he was riding in schoolboy was just wailing! I'd try one of them but I'm already having a tough enough time deciding between the two kawi's :P

btm1948

Jun 4, 2008
i am a 2 stroke guy but i have riden the 06 250 and its amazing. i would say get it. the one i road was a little heavy though.but i am used to a 97 cr125.

Top Bottom