Status
Not open for further replies.

MadEarthWorm

~SPONSOR~
Apr 22, 2003
Can anyone explain this radiator cap thing with the KX250F? I saw somewhere that by going to a 1.6 cap you can prevent the coolant from overflowing when it gets too hot? What does 1.6 mean?

My bike is brand new but I'm trying to get the little fixes that are recommended out of the way.

mxer842

~SPONSOR~
Nov 11, 2003
bychanging the radiator cap you increase the pressure in the radiator thus increasing the boiling pont of the coolant and you reduce the chance of over-heating.

490Dave

Mar 18, 2003
Im sure somebody will correct me if im wrong, but i think the number refers to atmospheres. ie, 1.6 atmospheres etc. of course the number on the cap is probably set at sea level so depending on your elevation you may need to go up or down.

Antman

Dec 17, 2001
The only problem with going with a higher rated cap is that it increases pressure on the system. You could end up blowing a water pump seal prematurely to keep from blowing a little coolant now and then. I personally woulod add coolant as needed.

mxer842

~SPONSOR~
Nov 11, 2003
slow down guys, coolant is released once a certain pressure in the radiator is reached this isn't changed by the different cap but what is changed it that the boiling point of the coolant is raised. once that pressure is reached in the radiator then coolant is released, you will still hit that overflow in a stock cap but your coolant will have boiled a long time ago.

MadEarthWorm

~SPONSOR~
Apr 22, 2003
HHmmnnn...I guess my thinking was that I could prevent a problem by just going with the 1.6 cap off the bat. Maybe it's not a problem at all?

Brewster

Dec 2, 2001
Originally posted by mxer842
slow down guys, coolant is released once a certain pressure in the radiator is reached this isn't changed by the different cap but what is changed it that the boiling point of the coolant is raised. once that pressure is reached in the radiator then coolant is released, you will still hit that overflow in a stock cap but your coolant will have boiled a long time ago.

I'm a bit confused with your statement.
Would you please explain how a radiator cap with a higher pressure relief setting DOES NOT change the pressure point at which coolant is released??
The higher pressure cap will do both, raise the temperature at which the coolant boils and raise the pressure at which the cap releases.

Ride on
Brewster

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
Originally posted by MadEarthWorm
HHmmnnn...I guess my thinking was that I could prevent a problem by just going with the 1.6 cap off the bat. Maybe it's not a problem at all?

You start fixin stuff that ain't broke yet and we're gonna start callin you Ivan! :scream:

MrLuckey

Fire Marshall Ed
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
It depends on the cap. Some caps will say how many PSI while others will be listed in Atmospheres. 1 Atmosphere is 14.7 psi. I would think it's safe to say yours is 1.6 atmospheres or almost 24 psi. Gomer is right, that is fairly high. I know Summers racing recommends a 19-21 psi unit for the CRF450s.

HERE

BEEF706

Sponsoring Member
Jan 24, 2002
Yamaha Action magazine reccomended the 1.6 to cure overheating at sea level, I read it but don't know which issue it was in, some of their advice is solid, and some is voodoo, don't know about this one. :)

Lonewolf

May 30, 2002
i am probably going to buy an rm-z within the next month or so and i plan on using a cycra vented front number plate, cycra vented front fender, msr radiator guards, 1.6 radiator cap, and add redline waterwetter to the coolant to keep it running cool. i may also use the lightspeed performance air tract system to draw in more air to the radiator it is still boiling over.

jboomer

~SPONSOR~
Jan 5, 2002
You haven't even bought the bike yet and you're already expecting the worst! I'd question my reasoning behind buying the bike if you're THAT paranoid it's going to break!

Lonewolf

May 30, 2002
i concider the mods i listed additional insurance, wouldnt it suck to be out in the middle of the woods far from the my house or truck and have the engine take a crap because it overheated? it probably wouldnt matter which bike i bought, i would probably try to get more air to the radiator for optimal performance anyway. i actually think the vented number plate, vented front fender look trick, and as far as the radiator gaurds go the stock louvers cant possibly flow as much air and protect an expensive radiator as much as the aftermarket guards do, i have had the cheap stock louvers actually ruin one of my radiators on my yz 250f.

Yogurt

~SPONSOR~
Dec 25, 1999
Actually, I believe, and others may back me up here, stock radiator louvers do allow the best air flow for cooling. They just don't provide any real protection for the radiators other than from roost. Look at all the factory teams, they all run the stock radiator louvers, don't you think if there was a better way to get more air flow to the radiators for more cooling effeciency they'd be all over it? But most of us, don't get our bikes running that hot, so aftermarket radiator guards will still do the trick. The cheap plastic louvers do help draw more air in, rather than an open style like the Devol guards.

mxer842

~SPONSOR~
Nov 11, 2003
carmichael does run some stermarket radiator louvers, they are carbon fiber.

jboomer

~SPONSOR~
Jan 5, 2002
carmichael does run some stermarket radiator louvers, they are carbon fiber.

The BS flag is slowely being raised to full mast! There's not a racer on the circuit running carbon fiber louvers. I'm pretty sure they ALL run the STOCK louvers (I don't know that I've even seen aftermarket louvers).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom