KX500 "B" piston? Back stuff in ports? and Other ?'S

woodsy

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 16, 2002
Getting closer to riding time everyday here and thought I better freshen up my scoot BEFORE that time gets here..
Bike ran SUPER last year with over 6000 miles of everything from trials type riding to tight narly woods riding to high speed WOT powerlining and even some highway jaunts!! After I got the jetting/float level straight I didn't foul 1 plug all year - I did 5000 miles and NO plug fouling - AWESOME!! Took the plug out today in the process of removing the topend and it is BEAUTIFUL chocolate brown!! Hate to sound like a Kawasaki advertisement but after all the problems I had with my CR500's starting hard I had to BRAG this bike up!!!
Now for the rebuild questions.. Got the piston out and have a small amount of blowby with some very light scuffing. Scuffing is mainly on the Exhaust side. Port pattern on the piston is PERFECT as is color. Noticed at the bottom of the Piston right where the skirt starts its downward taper - again on the exhaust side there is a line in the scuffing that could be procurser to a crack - is this common on the KX5's? Jug looks GREAT and measures SUper with light ring lines - I am going to dingle berry hone it lightly to remove glaze and get a cross hatch back - OK? KIPS rack and gears looked SUPER - a decarb and they will be fine. Piston is marked with a "B" on top. Did Kawasaki use different size pistons on these bikes (like an "A" and or "B" size?)? ANy of you guys have good or bad experiences with Wiseco over stock? I have heard the Forged pistons work better but I am VERY impressed with my stock piston for these hard ridden miles!! I looked in my Wiseco book and it DOES NOT specify an "A" or a "B" piston - anyone have any input on this? When I removed the jug I noticed some black stuff inside of my transfers and inside of the intake behind the reed cage. It has a silicon rubber consistancy and I can scrape it out with my fingernail - almost like removing paint!! Ever hear of this?? SHould I remove all of it (I plan on it anyway but thought I would ask!!
Sorry about the bunch of questions and ANY responses to ANY of them will be GREATLY appreciated!!!
THanks guys!!!
Woodsy

woodsy

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 16, 2002
Sorry guys.. Bike is a STOCK 2000 KX500 bought new last spring - NEVER been apart.. Also, what do you guys suggest for reeds? The stock reeds show NO sign of wear and I was happy with them - should I just go back to stock?
Thanks again!
Woodsy

Top Bottom