oldskoolkrome

Aug 3, 2007
I have a liquid cooled KX250 that i want to go bigger with. I was curious if you could do like the honda guys and just put a 500 head on and basically get instant horsepower. I know i would need a bigger carb, maybe different reeds and possibly a different pipe (although i am currently running an fmf gold series and a turbine 2 silencer) what i want to know is what else would need to be cahnged over eg: cylinder head, crank, rod, ignition module, what to do with the powervalve, whether or not the cylinder would just slide in place or if i would need to adapt it to my motor. I think that the motor is a 1998 because t has the "electrofusion" plating. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Ryna

oldskoolkrome

Aug 3, 2007
I guess my next question is what the differences between the 250 and 500 frames are. if i find a complete 500 could i hang it in my frame without any major hassles?

May 9, 2007
oldskoolkrome said:
I guess my next question is what the differences between the 250 and 500 frames are. if i find a complete 500 could i hang it in my frame without any major hassles?
They are very different frames. But the swap can be done if you have a bit of fabrication talent, you wouldn't be the first to do it.

oldskoolkrome

Aug 3, 2007
Fabrication wont be a problem. Will my exhaust and ignition work with the 500 or will i have to replace that as well? does anyone have a complete motor that they want to get rid of?

76GMC1500

Uhhh...
Oct 19, 2006
Neither the exhaust or the ignition will work. The engines run at very different rpm ranges which would throw out the pipe timing and ignition timing/rev limiters. Your silencer will still work with some fabbing, though.

May 9, 2007
The main challenges you are going to have is fabricating the engine and exhaust mounts, and sourcing a 500 exhaust that will work with the frame. You'll have to use the 500 ignition, carb, radiators, etc...

Studboy

Thinks he can ride
Dec 2, 2001
I've seen a few KX250/500 hybrids around here. It seemed like everything fit well with some modifications.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom