kdxtodd

Nov 14, 2001
Just pulled my 87 kx500 out of the shed been sitting for years. Wouldnt start so I pulled the carb off and sprayed the main jet clean, pretty dirty in there. Cleaned the rest of it too. Has a new spark plug and gets spark, also has good compression. I hooked a tow rope to it and pulled it bwehind my buddies truck. It wouldnt light up until I held the throttle wide open, then It would start up and run.. then die. Only when held wide open. I wouldnt recomend doing this in shorts as the 500 bucked me off when it lit up and I got some gnarly road rashes. :bang:

what else do I nneedto check?

thanks

kingbrian

Jul 20, 2006
by the way it sounds maybe you didnt clean the carb good enough you should pull all the jets and clean all the orifices and jets really good, but thats just my 2 cents

RACER557

Mar 11, 2007
if bike sat for a long time you need to remove all jets from carb. clean needle jet, pilot, needle and seat. empty fuel tank and clean. this should get you straightened out. to clean carb parts i use crc brake clean and a little bit of air to blow things out. good luck! hope this helps!!

kdxtodd

Nov 14, 2001
Thanks guys. Yeah I wish i had some video, maybe I'll post pics of the rashes! lol. Im gonna pull teh carb off and reclean it. The main jet was completly clogged but I unclogged it. Looks like I didnt clean it good enough.

mojonito

Aug 24, 2005
if it only worked when wide open then the only jet that was working was your main jet. you need to clean the pilot jet, make sure the float is set properly, etc....
take it apart, clean everyhting, and put it back together. replace any rubber o rings or seals that need it because alot of them are probably junk by now. good luck and may the force be with you

Top Bottom